No announcement yet.

Help with nitrate battle!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're it mine I would clean out my pre filter and or sponge media with tank water. Also old canisters can accumulate crap so dump out. But don't mess with the bio filter right now. I always clean the canisters in stages. Regardless high nitrates aren't causing as much stress to your fish as huge water changes unless your replacement water is damn perfect--the right ph, treated and warm before you put it in.

I am having a problem cause i did too big of a water change and the water out of my tap swings from 6.4 to 7.8.

Comment

I gently cleaned out my prefilter in tank water when I removed the carbon before treatment.
      Should I continue treating with prazipro with a smaller water chane to start the treatment? I also use aragonite sand in both filters to control my ph.
      Idk what I should do but whatever it is tonight's my night to do it!!

thanks for the input

Comment

It has became worse just the few hours I've been at work. It's seems like it is spreading rather fast and starting to spread over his forehead...

PLEASE HELP
        Attached Files

Comment

I'd say use it as directed, I think the large frequent water changes cause problems unless you are really anal about the water you are putting in.

Comment

This is something I've never seen before...
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow yeah definitely not improving! Need to consult someone who can prescribe something more powerful to combat that infection...I would say your best hope is to set up a qt and nuke him and hope for the best.

Comment

Definitely you have to use antibiotics and it is better in a quarantine tank. Now for your nitrates problems you can do massive water changes (75-100% if your filtration is well stablished), add beneficial bacteria like Prodibio or use a sulfur Denitrator.

Comment

I woke up this morning and it had spread more over his body and he had passed.... Any advice on what medicine to use? Does petsmart carry anything or should I go to my LFS. I still have many EBJD in the tank but none have signs of puff eye or the white stuff like he did. They're still showing more of the parasitic symptoms but at this point I really have no ideas.

My filter has been on this tank for two years since set up and I just added my 2260 to run with it. So large water changes souls be ok but I did that consistently for this whole week and absolutely no help with my nitrate....

once again im dumbfounded....

Comment

I have been able to get my nitrate down to 40 ppm and ammonia steady at 0 with many large water changes and the help of both my 2260 and 2262 running together.
                    But the real kicker here is I can't seem to figure out the disease/parasite that is takin out my tank.... They're still hoeing same symptoms as before and I've noticed the tips of fin being frayed and white as well as some perfect circles in the middle of their dorsal fins..
                    I treated with prazipro since Sunday but doesn't seem to have any help as I have lost another EBJD. So far this parasite has taken 7 of my EBJD and I fear more or to follow...
                    PLEASE HELP ANYWAY YOU CAN..

Thank you,
                    Noah

Comment

Have you tried Clout ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

No. Where can I get it?

Comment

How deep is the sand.the fins - gills are probably being burned by the water,stressing the fish and opening the door for secondary infection or worse.what I would do.massive water change now and in the morning.treat with melafix and aquarsol.these are easy on the fish.I would cut feed by at least 1/2 until things turn around.good luck

Comment

I don't recommend frequent large water changes in an established tank unless the water you are putting in is damn near perfect...most tap water comes out at a different ph, low enough to kill your bb culture, and stress the fish and filter. Temp is an issue too, a degree off can have an already stressed fish crashing fast. Most water you have to let it sit aerating for a day to get up to where is supposed to be. Fresh water is good for the fish just be careful. It is really hard to diagnose, there is something going around though. I have been told when in doubt, use clout. But Alex at ultimate fish or someone else who specializes in African cichlids will help you diagnose better than I can.

Comment

Sand is two inches deep all around. I do stir the sand so bubbles don't build up.
                              where is ultimate fish at and do you have his number? I will give him a call tomorrow to see what help he can be. I'm truly desperate.

After talking with him I will decide the best meds and start treating again but whatever it is, it is fast acting...

Comment

Google ultimate fish on 2920. Don't disrupt the substrate unless you are siphoning... it releases toxins and so vacuuming the gunk and replacing water helps prevent problems. Not vacuuming under rocks can lead to high nitrates, especially if you feed heavily. Could be the cause of those bubbles--I don't get those but I vacuum once a week. My nitrates test at zero.

Comment

Working...
                                X