X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluval also makes a nice digital model

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Next question is gonna be what would be good heater set up for 175 gallon tank... Never had a tank this big before And I'm sure there are all kinds of new heaters since I was in the hobby
      i personally like the inline heaters attached to the cannister for a cleaner tank look.
      280g:peacocks
      210g : haps
      12g : shellies
      (4) 55g:breeding tanks

Comment

I use the old Eheim but they are out dated. I have been wanting to keep discus and with them needing heated water. I have been looking at new heaters.
        The eheim is real good I've had one brake. It was 30 years old. But I like that clean look the inline heater gives.
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by Emowillcox View Post
          Yes that is great I know I need to find a good source for drift wood and live plants
          To find that perfect piece of driftwood is a quest. The LFS are good but one of the posters here get some nice wood from Louisiana. His user name is clay.
          plants are easier to find but that has changed too.
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Once I get up and going I am hoping to do discus in my tank and wondered if there are any suggestions for local places to get discus in the Houston area?

Comment

Okay thanks someone also mentioned to me home depot or lowes might have pool sand as well.. wonder if anyone has gotten any from there

Comment

Originally posted by Emowillcox View Post
                Once I get up and going I am hoping to do discus in my tank and wondered if there are any suggestions for local places to get discus in the Houston area?
                HAW (Houston Aquarium Warehouse ) always has some nice Discus. Plus the owner John is super cool.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Okay great i'll have to check out that place. Yesterday I went to the fish gallery. They had a couple of tanks with some discus, but I want to check out HAW. Just ordered a
                  Hagen Fluval 300 Watt E-Series Electronic Aquarium Heater today online. Still cleaning the tank and hoping to start putting water in it this week

Comment

Not in Houston but Fish R Us in the woodlands has some really nice discuss.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Lowes and Home Depot both have Play sand which i use for $3.59 for 50lbs. just make sure its quikete and wash it throughly before you put it in your tank!!!

Comment

Houston Aquarium Warehouse is best in Houston for discus. See John and tell him James Halbirt sent ya :)

Comment

Been to 3 different stores now and like HAW. Got a few things from them while I was there and got some very helpful advice from them. Water in the tank now for about a week and hoping to ad fish soon

Comment

The under gravel are outdated and won't clean you're tank like a Fluval FX5 or FX6. I use the blasting sand for all my african tanks. It brings out the reds and blues from the fish plus algae can't stick to the gravel. Not to mention some fish dig in the substrate and ruin the Nitrifying bacteria that is growing in the gravel

Comment

I startrd with pool sand but converted over to black diamond for the lool

Comment

Actuallt if you wash pool sand there is nothing left but a few stones. When starring a new tank i just dump it in and recycle the tank with feeders until the ammonia, nitrites & nitrates have returned to normal

Comment

Working...
                                X