New Eheim 2217 Makiing Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Eheim 2217 Makiing Noise

We finally got our 90 gallon tank put together. I have two Eheim 2217s for filtration, purchased new at the same time. One runs whisper quiet and the other has a constant hum, which has been constant for a few weeks. I do not think it is air, since I have turned, shaken, repacked and re-primed the canister a few times. Plus the sound is different that the sound of air. I have found when I push down on the head, the noise level goes way down. O-ring looks good and has plenty of grease.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

It could be the housing cap that holds the impeller in place needs to be pushed in for a more snug fit.

Comment

Impeller needs to be replaced.
      010G Long fin BN grow-out
      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
      020G Leulepi grow-out
      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
      030G Leulepi breeder
      030G SRD FlowerHorn
      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
      090G Tangs community
      100G Tangs community
      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Based on the fact that the noise goes down when you apply pressure, I'd check the latches on the motor housing to ensure they're closing fully

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

I have taken the filters apart again. I checked the impeller and all of that looked good. The impeller cap sort of snaps in place, so I am not sure how to make it tighter. All of the impeller parts looked good, since it is brand new! When I put it back together, I check to make sure the clips are centered and on correctly. Did not help.

While searching more, I found some people saying that air can get stuck in the impeller well. I turned the filter over and for a few seconds and reconnected everything. Sure enough, the noise went down. Not Eheim whisper quiet, but a lot better, I am still looking to get rid f that little extra noise so it sounds like what I paid for!

Comment

You can also try firmly tapping the canister to dislodge any trapped air.
            http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Firmly tapping, meaning beat the hell out of it

Comment

It's a 2217... You could beat the hell out of 2260/62 but a 2217 not so much

Comment

Are you trying to say my filter is wimpy?!

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas and Jennifer View Post
                    The 2217 canister body is made of a different plastic . The 2217 canister body can be cracked . The 2260/62 are hard as hell...if not close to impossible... to crack.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas and Jennifer View Post
                      Basically [emoji12]

Comment

Since you have 2 of the 2217 I would swap out the impellers between the 2. If noise still there I would swap the clips that hold the impeller. Swap one thing at a time till you pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Comment

Yup...sure enough it is the impeller made a huge difference. I have the impellers swapped, and overall it is less noisy, but not what it should be. I bought them at Big Al's Online and they are a pain to deal with. Anyone ordered from them before?

Comment

Working...
                          X