What is this worm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this worm

Water perameters are all with in normal limits. Did a water chang and tried to get them out by cleaning the gravel . Whatis the best way to get read of them? Thanks in advance.

IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg

Thanks in advance

Comment

It sort of looks like a blood worm. But it would help to know if you are talking freshwater or saltwater here.
      Guppies:
      Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
      Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
      HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Its fresh water

Comment

How do they get in the tank

Comment

Most worms don't harm fish. Are they on the fish? Cut back the feeding. I would do every other day until they go away. Thats most likely the cause, leftover food.
            Last edited by Jose; 09-01-2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

if they are blood worms, they are actually the larva of a flying insect. As to how they get in the tank, well you could have had what ever insect in your house and it laid eggs in your tank. Or it could have been brought in on a plant.

but The picture is such that I'm not sure if it is blood worm or not.
              Guppies:
              Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
              Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
              HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Thanks to both of you i will cut back on feeding for a while

Comment

Any luck with these yet? I would have to say it's a detritus worm, caused by over-feeding, over-stocking or poor water conditions, but can't say 100% based off those pics. They usually live in the gravel and feed off any waste they can get to

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

If you haven't got them handled, what are the tank specifics? (size, stocking, filtration)

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Working...
                    X