135 mbuna build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 135 mbuna build.

Wanted to try and create a malawai biotope and make it as natural looking as possible. Pics show progress of the tank. It's about 2 months into it. Mixed leslies pfs and quickrete all purpose sand. I think the gravel gives it a natural look. Took 2 days to clear.

Cleared up and I was happy with rock work. Lots of caves, nooks and crannies for fish to establish territory.

Comment

Ended up adding a dual jebao wp 25 wave maker. Puts out serious flow and keep alot of debris off the rock. Also added a 72 current usa 12 bulb t5 to encourage algae.

Comment

Noticed algae growth within the first 2 weeks. Mbuna were happy to graze.

Comment

Finally found some flavus, F2. Male and female were large enough to add to tank. Other male and 2 females still in grow out tank. Large male hasn't colored up.

Comment

After a month or so I wanted to really try to increase the algae growth so I tried adding miracle grow fertilizer in a bucket and added water and rocks. Needless to say I was happy with the results. After 5 days of soaking I added to the tank.

Comment

Comment

nice trick with growing algae how long did it take and how much fertilizer did you use?

Comment

Nice tank gambs.

Victorp, just put your rocks in a white bucket in a single layer with a lid on and leave it out in the sun for a few days.
                  http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Gamb. Very nice tank. If you want some adult Mbuna 4"-6" to fill your tank, I have a bunch for sale.
                    010G Long fin BN grow-out
                    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                    020G Leulepi grow-out
                    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                    030G Leulepi breeder
                    030G SRD FlowerHorn
                    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                    090G Tangs community
                    100G Tangs community
                    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Tank looks really nice. I love all of the rocks in a mbuna tank.
                      Join us at
                      http://www.allworldcichlids.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Victorp View Post
                        nice trick with growing algae how long did it take and how much fertilizer did you use?
                        Victor, I put water in a 6 qt bucket and added 3 sprays of miracle grow indoor plant food foam. Left bucket outside. Did that for 5 days and the rocks were covered in the bright green algae. My lights are strong enough to keep the algae going even while they graze.

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
                          Nice tank gambs.

Victorp, just put your rocks in a white bucket in a single layer with a lid on and leave it out in the sun for a few days.
                          Thanks sunny it was coming together nicely. Just redid all my rock work because I wasn't happy with the layout.

Comment

Update. Algae has spread to all rocks and I have cut feeding down to once a day. All the fish graze on rocks. Decided to change the layout as I had no height on the left side and lots of dead spots due to stacking rock.

Before

After.

Comment

Grazing pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X