Sand opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand opinions

So I'm setting up a rift lake Biotope for Mbuna. I have already decided on rock but I'm curious about the sand. Not a big fan of pfs for this application. Any Caribbean Sea products that would look good? I'm going for this look.

Tahitian moon sand is white and very fine grained. Also Aragonite sugar grade is terrific, but its a PITA to get cleaned and set
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

It does concern me with keeping it clean. I know my mbuna are crazy messy. I just want the most natural look possible. What color is the actual sand in lake malawai?

Comment

Wonder if I could do some soft of mix with pfs and a Caribbean Sea product. Have an idea what would mix well with a tan pfs from leslies?

Comment

I have use Carib Sea Reef Grade Sand and it has been working well in both the 200g Malawi tank (mbunas et.al.) and my Tanganyika tank (135g). It helps buffer the tank and looks good too. It is not too fine. The mbuna dig around a bit, but that is okay with me, as usually it is in preparations of mating.
          300g Discus tank

200g African tank - Malawi

36g
          Fry (Leleupi Fry)

Comment

Ended up doing a play sand and pfs mix. Turned out pretty cool

Comment

Comment

nice! what size is the tank?
                Guppies:
                Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
                Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
                HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Comment

Comment

I like the way it came out, very natural looking.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
                      "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Thanks I like the way it came out as well. Rocks may not be exact biotope but when I get a good layer of algae build up you won't be able to tell. Stocking list is almost done as well. Just need to get 2 more types of mbuna

Comment

Yeah, exact biotope is pretty impossible. We do what we can, but...
                          Definitely update us when the tank matures, look forward to seeing it!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
                          "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                          X