No announcement yet.

Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is most likely a red cyanobacteria bloom: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...0cyanobacteria

Cycling is common in saltwater tanks. You should expect nuisance blooms like this for the first two months of the tank, and signifcantly longer if you either 1. don't have a good bio filter or 2. aren't maintaining the tank.

Saltwater tanks take a lot of patience. Be sure to wait the full cycle out.

The comments about RO/DI water are true however. I use an RO/DI unit, bought a very cost effective one from aquasafe, and have it hooked up to a 55 gallon HDPE barrel that is food grade.

To give you real advice on what could be wrong on the tank, I'd need to know:
    1. Size of tank
    2. What kind of water movement
    3. Amount/type of live rock/sand
    4. What kind of filtering
    5. What kind of light and how long
    6. What you are stocking
    7. What you are feeding.

Any of those things being off can cause algae blooms. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      Just out of curiosity does it make a difference?
      Not really, but the one's that are up and down (vertical) typically hold more media. Which is nice when you have a reef. You'll burn through those little horizontal units rather quickly. I plan on plumbing that thing out of the equation and using the dual setup in my second link.

I kind of "think" that issue in the picture is a diatom bloom, which is normal when the tank is cycling. I don't really know unless the pictures are super clear... even then it's hard to know for sure. I usually just crank the flow when I see that stuff, but I tend to overdo it with the flow in my tanks. I am an SPS guy, sooo....

Comment

Working...
      X