Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

Ok so I set up my first saltwater tank with out any issues and it's running great.

About 2 weeks ago we decided to set up another one. Went to petco had the water checked for all levels and readings were good . Then did the same about a week ago. Readings were still great. Well shortly after this blackish sandy thing started growing in the tank. I've made several attempts to try and clean it out. I've even cut back on lighting but I have not been successful in clearing it out.

So I guess what I'm asking is A: what in the world could this be?
    And B: how could I get rid of it for good?

Thanks in advance you guys.

Bee♡
    Using Tapatalk

Bee♡
    Using Tapatalk

Comment

My 30G has been up and running only 5weeks I had a bad one to only it was reddish brown. I'm not sure about it being black though. I would suggest a vaccume suck and a clean up crew. Turbo snails and conchs. That's what I did and it worked out

Comment

Thanks I will deff give that a try at this point I'm willing to try anything to get rid of it.

Bee♡
        Using Tapatalk

Comment

Pic is not very clear. Are you using Tap Water?

Comment

Sorry was the best I could do at the time and yes I actually did on this tank. I'm new to the whole saltwater thing. But I made sure I took a sample of our tap water to our lfs and was given an ok. To just condition

Bee♡
            Using Tapatalk

Comment

On most SW tanks the recommendation is to use RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis) water with a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) below 10ppm. This way you are only adding exactly what salts are in the mix, not all the excess minerals in out tap (ours can be 350 ppm or higher) that can have excess silicates and spark algae blooms. I hate recommending a break down, but its something to consider and starting again with the water as you'll be fighting this for as long as that water is in the tank.
              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

+1^^^
                All salt mixes are meant to be mixed into RO/DI or distilled water. The salt mix has all the elements need to create artificial sea water. Out typical water here a GH or >180 ppm and KH or 80 to 120 ppm. This hard water will long term make for additional problems maintaining proper water chemistry. These added nutrients are also a source of bad algal blooms such as cyanobacter and diatoms that can only be controlled by proper water chemistry and the right combination of snails for a cleanup crew.

Once you have matered a few details, this is a great hobby!

Comment

Thanks y'all. Grestly appreciate all the information. Im deff ganna give a clean up crew a try and if all else fails. A break down its ganna have to bee.

Bee♡
                  Using Tapatalk

Comment

Invest in a rodi and gfo reactor and most of problems will be gone...u can get rodi' used pretty cheap or luck on ebay numerous ones for under 120.00

Comment

I would recommend the portable rodi from this seller

Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.

I love my 100 gph portable rodi. Tested out great and doesnt leak. I was kinda skeptical at first but took some test water to Global Leader Aquatics and they said it was fine to use. I ran about 30 gallons throw it before I initially used it because of the membrane have a coating to keep fresh. Itll even say it on the instructions

Comment

Thanks will deff look into this!
                        Using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know if this will help much, but this is the one I just purchased:

(It also gives me some great tasting RO water from the spigot at the ole' kitchen sink).

I also bought this to have more flexibility with my DI resin (not to mention, more DI-volume):

I think these cheap units do just fine, as long as you are prepared to replace any leaky connectors, or what-nots. The only difference in these cheapies and the BRS, Filter Guys, Buckeye Hydro, Vertex, Spectras, etc... is the connections they use. The quality is not as good, but you can get them at any hardware store. Don't get me wrong, I've never had a problem with any of these things, and I've owned a few.

But yes... unfortunately, with saltwater tanks, RO/DI (and 0 TDS) is the mark you want to meet before you add your salt. Also, unless FOWLR, you want to use a decent salt mix.

Don't forget your TDS meter if you do get a RO/DI. Good luck!

Comment

Iam not a fan of the rodi's that have all the filters laying horizontally verticle is the way to go...

Comment

Just out of curiosity does it make a difference?
                              Using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X