Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Canister Idea

I am thinking about doing a DIY Canister using a Home Depot Bucket

I think if I use gravity I shouldn't have to worry about blowing the lid of with pressure.

Saw a 1200 gph pond pump, and thought that should move some water but would it implode the bucket?

I attached a quick sketch of whatScanned from a Xerox Multifunction Device.pdf

Any tips, or warnings to save me from blowing up my house with water?

I have seen them, but honestly a larger DIY sump might be easier and less dangers of imploding. Easier to clean as well. Those really large totes are easy to work with (double it for ease of mind), section it off, start with a sock filter off the overflow, fill with bioballs or scrubby pads, and even add a fine filter floss for final water polishing. Set the pump rate to the overflow amount and your finished with no worries
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Rob, Please check out this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxFb...ujLx3VpXLjQrAg

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
        I have seen them, but honestly a larger DIY sump might be easier and less dangers of imploding. Easier to clean as well. Those really large totes are easy to work with (double it for ease of mind), section it off, start with a sock filter off the overflow, fill with bioballs or scrubby pads, and even add a fine filter floss for final water polishing. Set the pump rate to the overflow amount and your finished with no worries
        I've never quite gotten my head around sumps, guess it can't hurt to do some homework though

Comment

Basically its an open air canister. Makes media changing easier and water top offs a breeze. The big issue is flooding. If the power goes out, the sump needs to stop draining prior to the sump flooding. Otherwise the pump keeps up at the same rate the overflow produces. Old scratched up tanks work well for sumps if you have one lying around. Its just pumping water, so no issues with it imploding the container and water pumps are not hard to control via the water outlet valve. You can hide your heater in it as well to cleanup the tanks appearance and adding refugiums (think growlight and fast growing plants to eat up Nitrates that is on for far longer then an aquatic set up) can export Nitrates quickly.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

p.s. I love the user pic, it always makes me laugh when I see it...
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

Check this one out too Rob, it's smaller and less powerful, but a pretty sweet design in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out

Hello, this is my version of a canister filter. It is 20 inches high and 4 inch diameter. This was just a test to see if it worked. Now that I know it does I'll get myself some 8 inch pvc pipe that I can get locally (20 feet long though). I will also find a better way to tighten the cap; i was...

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

would the size of the canister really change anything?

Using pvc would more than likely provide a cleaner looking end product, but anything above 6" diameter starts getting pricey

hard to beat a $2.85 bucket

Comment

Depends on the pump. With a stronger pump, I would want a larger canister volume to reduce the pressure. 2 feet of 6" PVC is essentially the same volume as an eheim canister. I only suggest PVC because it's more pressure-resistant than the plastic on a home depot bucket

Comment

IMO: It would be a matter of time but the plastic would fail. You can do a PVC overflow and sump as Roy said or PVC canister. The idea the hung shown was pretty cool.
                    There are a few DIY. Sumps on here. Check them out.
                    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

finding a Marineland C530 new for $170 has me debating on going forward with a DIY canister

Comment

Originally posted by ROB281 View Post
                        finding a Marineland C530 new for $170 has me debating on going forward with a DIY canister
                        That or the SunSuns are good bang for the buck. After having drilled tanks and DIY sumps, I would personally never have it any other way. Too many advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by ROB281 View Post
                          What'd you end up going with? I'm surprised noone has suggested the Odyssea CFS series yet
                          Last edited by Austy16414; 10-09-2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

currently running two marineland canisters

Comment

Working...
                            X