new to the sw game. time for something new tired of the fw, help plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to the sw game. time for something new tired of the fw, help plz

i have a 65g with a built in over flow in will be dumping into a PM sump that has 4 different slots. they are emtpy can you please help me of what do i need in each section, at one end it has a sections for a protien skimmer. i also have a PM RL125 that i will use probably, its next in box. anything guide and how to set up in the sump. i already have a return pump but i will need to run the piping tomorrow for the return to the sump because i already have a pump connected to the return in the tank. i already have my salt and salinity meter. im very excited to get into it. all help will be appreciated. i would like to begin cycling my tank as soon as possible. thanks.

You need to show us a picture. Most likely your sump has 2 or 3 chambers separated by several baffles. The drain line from the tank drains into one chamber, the water overflows into another chamber where the skimmer sits (and skims the water) (If you only have 2 chambers, these two can be the same). Then water flows to another chamber where the pump sits and pumps/ returns water back to the main tank.

You can have different configurations but basically water flows from the drain chamber to the return chamber (the height of the baffles prevents the water from going the other way and if you have it backward, the pump will empty its chamber and there is no more water overflowing into it and you have a problem).

The other thing is you want the pump chamber separated from the others since you don't want air bubbles in that chamber get pumped back into the main tank.

Does that make sense ?

Comment

well i can imagine that you have already started your sw endeavors but from one to another I would start small and then get bigger. its so expensive to have a saltwater tank but with my setup its less than 100$. go to Drsmith and foster( i think thats what its called) then get the 3 gallon JBJ picotpe 40$, 50 watt heater 15$, and then get live rock and sand from a friend on here. its sooooooo much easier. I had a 26 gallon bow front sw, i was 400$ deep in equipment, its a whole new game and you can lose a ton of money.

Comment

too late. already started my money pit. working out better lighting for now. ill post pics soon.

Comment

Okay, stay away from coral life lighting. I only say that because mine over heated and short circuited, and almost melted into my tank. that ***** was hot

Comment

That sucks, I just bought a coralife fixture.....but when I finally put on the canopy it has built in fans

Comment

Originally posted by DeepinTexas View Post
              Okay, stay away from coral life lighting. I only say that because mine over heated and short circuited, and almost melted into my tank. that ***** was hot
              You most have had a lemon because I have used two of their light fixtures for several years. I went from their PC fixture 48- four sets of the 50/50 bulbs to their T5 with lunar leds and never had that problem. I have heard that story with another brand just can't remember the name.

Comment

Pssh you people and the PC and t5s. Lol jk but in all seriousness you should have looked into LEDs. They have some really nice output panels on eBay for like $120 each! I have gotten amazing growth and especially out of my galaxia.

Comment

Originally posted by ometh View Post
                  Pssh you people and the PC and t5s. Lol jk but in all seriousness you should have looked into LEDs. They have some really nice output panels on eBay for like $120 each! I have gotten amazing growth and especially out of my galaxia.
                  Do you have a specific brand recommendation? What are the corals that you keep?

Comment

With Leds you can keep most LPS and soft corals. Theres a lot of arguments about watt per gallon but its really about the spectrum, thats why Leds are great because they provide spectrum and so much more. I haven't used LEDS but in the end you pay for quality, hence the more you pay the better(in most situation).

Comment

Working...
                    X