Suggestion on Power Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion on Power Filter

I'm currently looking for a power filter for a 20 gallon tank, having dilemma to choose a right one, need some recommendation from experts. I'm aiming on following 3 filters:

1. Aqua Clear Fluval Power Filter 30 Gal
    2. Marineland Penguin 150B Power Filter
    3. Aqueon QuiteFlow Power Filter 30
    Last edited by 3kiwi; 04-18-2014, 09:54 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

I have always preferred the Aqua Clear line because of their durability and flexibility in the media holding area, no need to buy special cartridges.
    150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
    125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
    115G Tanganyikan

Comment

Originally posted by algarciajr View Post
      I have always preferred the Aqua Clear line because of their durability and flexibility in the media holding area, no need to buy special cartridges.
      +1
      The filter will pay for itself ten times over with the money you will save on filter cartridges.

Comment

I never cared for anything less than the aquaclear 110. I think the 70 and below just dont perform as well (scaled down of course). I personally use penguin 350s on most of my growout tanks and use just blue filter pads instead of the retail pads as they do get expensive over time. Now if you want to spend a few extra bucks (not much more since the penguin 350 is only 26.00 online), these cartidges never need to be replaced and have the surface area of a wet dry with bio balls. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MarinePure-B...item3a8a656867 Get a penguin filter with 2 of these and you're set for anything you want up to a 55-75g or so.

Comment

More info on the marinepure

Comment

I'm no expert, but I suggest an AC70; I always like to overfilter. Your fish will thank you.

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Originally posted by supadave View Post
              +1
              The filter will pay for itself ten times over with the money you will save on filter cartridges.
              ++ 1 for AquaClear 30 and the cost-effectivemness of its customizable media space.

i

Only downside is the output flows pretty much straight down and cannot be redirected elsewhere, flattening plants and making an area where shy tiny fishes don't like to go. At least that's what happens on 20G long tanks; might be fine on 20G high.

Previously I had a Marineland power filter for a few weeks but it malfunctioned and burned up while I was out of town for three days. No more ML for me.

I prefer canister filters. They're quiet. I really like my API Rena filters. Downsides are (a) expensive to buy compared to power filters and (b) they consume way more energy than other canisters.

Amazon has Zoo Med 501 canister (30G) for about $35; I think it's currently well over $70 at local branches of both national petstuff chain stores.
              One good tank deserves another

Comment

Aquaclear hands down. No contest. Marineland is noisy.

Comment

I did a research online last night. Seems about 50% of people recommend AC, 40% people like Marineland, 10% for the rest of brand. So I will give up on Aqueon QuiteFlow 30. I'll wait couple days to decide which one I should pick.

Thanks for all the valuable advices, you guys are rock!

Comment

plus on the ac 30 the bio-media bag for a ac 50 work and fits better. also you can take a spare sponge to make a per filter on the intake.
                    Fishes says "pook pook".

Comment

Question 2
                      If I choose Aqua Clear Filter for a 20G Long Tank, among 20, 30 & 50 which model I should pick? I saw some online post mention that AC 20 is not enough, AC 30 is bit of weak, at least AC 50 for 20G long tank. Is that true?

Comment

I run a AC30 on my 20gal long and have plent if water flow. It works good.and that is with a per filter on the intake.
                        It also helps to know what fish are you tinking of in the tank? Some fish like more water movement others like less.
                        Last edited by cm12setx; 04-19-2014, 07:05 AM.
                        Fishes says "pook pook".

Comment

I lot would depend on how the tank is stocked and what type of fish you have
                          125g: Empty For Now
                          90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
                          Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

I am running an AC70 on a 20L stocked with 2 adult Neo. Brichardi. I have a sponge on the intake to prevent PFS from being sucked into filter motor because the intake is close to tank bottom.

Originally posted by 3kiwi View Post
                            Question 2
                            If I choose Aqua Clear Filter for a 20G Long Tank, among 20, 30 & 50 which model I should pick? I saw some online post mention that AC 20 is not enough, AC 30 is bit of weak, at least AC 50 for 20G long tank. Is that true?
                            150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
                            125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
                            115G Tanganyikan

Comment

ok after my last filter cleaning today. I do like a AC30 but will not buy this one again. but upgrade to a AC50 at least. ac 30 just is a little to small. good flow but not enough room for media in it . see we can change our ideas. and thanks to algarciajr.
                              Fishes says "pook pook".

Comment

Working...
                              X