Buffer to raise ph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordBarron7692 View Post
    wow ok so what is it before a water change.
    It is at 8.4

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Comment

do you use a water softener for the house or are you on well water? most city of Houston water is gonna be around 8.0 or so.
      125g: Empty For Now
      90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
      Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

do you use a water softener for the house or are you on well water? most city of Houston water is gonna be around 8.0 or so.
        I'm on well water it comes out of tap at 7.6

Using Tapatalk

Comment

ahh ok yeah you're probably gonna want to try using baking soda or get like a 55 gal drum and put either limestone or crush coral in it and use that as you change water cause I don't think the buffer will be a long term fix for you

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

ahh ok yeah you're probably gonna want to try using baking soda or get like a 55 gal drum and put either limestone or crush coral in it and use that as you change water cause I don't think the buffer will be a long term fix for you
            Ok thanks would limestone or holey rocks raise the gh and kh too?

Using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm pretty sure limestone will not sure about holey rock though

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

I'm pretty sure limestone will not sure about holey rock though
                Ok thanks

Using Tapatalk

Comment

your pH could very well be lower than 7.4 since thats the lowest reading for the high range pH test. i am going off the master liquid test kits you see in LFS. a full point over the course of 4 to 7 days is quite a swing. try getting a regular pH test reading too and see if its even lower.

limestone and holey rock will raise the pH and KH of the water. not sure about GH. the limestone emits calcium carbonate into the water to buffer it more naturally over time. it will usually only result in a few decimal point increase, but will keep it at that level more consistently. the rock can do more depending on the chemistry of the water.

i found this article helpful in the past:

i use baking soda in a pinch if i see the pH is low, but it will only be a temporary fix and you would need to keep monitoring it. small doses as needed. add it carefully as it will swing the pH quickly if you use too much. the pH will settle again so going back and forth in pH can stress the fish.
                  Last edited by morpheus; 04-21-2014, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                    your pH could very well be lower than 7.4 since thats the lowest reading for the high range pH test. i am going off the master liquid test kits you see in LFS. a full point over the course of 4 to 7 days is quite a swing. try getting a regular pH test reading too and see if its even lower.

limestone and holey rock will raise the pH and KH of the water. not sure about GH. the limestone emits calcium carbonate into the water to buffer it more naturally over time. it will usually only result in a few decimal point increase, but will keep it at that level more consistently. the rock can do more depending on the chemistry of the water.

i found this article helpful in the past:

i use baking soda in a pinch if i see the pH is low, but it will only be a temporary fix and you would need to keep monitoring it. small doses as needed. add it carefully as it will swing the pH quickly if you use too much. the pH will settle again so going back and forth in pH can stress the fish.
                    its 7.6 on the low end and 7.4 on the high end

Using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X