Chocolate cichlid fry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate cichlid fry

Chocolate cichlids mated and we now have about a hundred fry. We have them in a 100 gallon tank and removed the other fish. I can't find much on the internet on what to do next. Any tips? We aren't new to tanks but haven't had chocolate fry before. TIA
    55 Gallon
    100 Gallon
    125 Gallon
    135 Gallon
    Cichlids, Catfish, Sharks

Congrats to.you!

Comment

Thanks
      55 Gallon
      100 Gallon
      125 Gallon
      135 Gallon

Comment

I personally have not bred them, but this is my typical fry rearing. chocolate cichlids are a slower growth rate species. Removing all other fish is a good first step. if you dont have any cover in there it should be added (live plants like java moss and anacharis for example can have micro organisms on it the fry will feed off until they are free swimming). the fry will also pick off the gravel/ornaments/etc.

The fry will be free swimming in about a week. they will accept microworms if you have a colony going, or newly hatched brine shrimp. some people on the board here have microworm colonies if you ask around. otherwise i always used typical fry food (the powder) and put some in an eye dropped mixed with water. squirt it near the fry

also put a sponge on your intake for the filter to not suck any fry up by accident.

Comment

very nice! i havent seen to many people breed these guys, would love a video!
          ELOS 120 - Retroculus Xinguensis, Geogphagus Neambi
          5g AIO Betta, Pygmy Cories

Comment

The parents ate all of them so the next time they bred we removed the parents from the tank. We have about 30 of them in the tank now. I will try to get a video when I get back home.
            55 Gallon
            100 Gallon
            125 Gallon
            135 Gallon

Comment

Thank you so much for the tips.

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
              I personally have not bred them, but this is my typical fry rearing. chocolate cichlids are a slower growth rate species. Removing all other fish is a good first step. if you dont have any cover in there it should be added (live plants like java moss and anacharis for example can have micro organisms on it the fry will feed off until they are free swimming). the fry will also pick off the gravel/ornaments/etc.

The fry will be free swimming in about a week. they will accept microworms if you have a colony going, or newly hatched brine shrimp. some people on the board here have microworm colonies if you ask around. otherwise i always used typical fry food (the powder) and put some in an eye dropped mixed with water. squirt it near the fry

also put a sponge on your intake for the filter to not suck any fry up by accident.
              55 Gallon
              100 Gallon
              125 Gallon
              135 Gallon

Comment

We look forward to those pictures.
                Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

try and look up spawning severums, my guess is that the care would be similar since they are a related species

Comment

Working...
                  X