Help with tetras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with tetras

Just picked up a school of lemon tetras. Drip acclimated for an hour and put in the tank. All lvls are normal. Have lost 4 since yesterday and nearly all have this white on their heads or bodies. Concerned about this spreading to other fish or wiping out the school. These were the best pics I could get. uploadfromtaptalk1397397738291.jpguploadfromtaptalk1397397749250.jpguploadfromtaptalk1397397758673.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

difficult to tell exactly what it is but definitely not typical of the species to have that white. might be some bacteria but i can say what. did they have that on them in the store? i doubt it was in your tank if its been running a while with no symptoms like that.

possible they were in drastically different conditions in the store...but i havent really seen something growing that quickly from no signs to a mass. can maybe try a gentle antibiotic if you dont have a QT tank.
    Last edited by morpheus; 04-14-2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

where did you get these guys?
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

uploadfromtaptalk1397517367656.jpg

Comment

Treating with melafix. Have lost 20 fish since Saturday afternoon. The school was of 30. Just lost a cory cat as well

Comment

Fin rot?

Comment

could that be a fungus? I get get in to trouble here I am sorry. check this link out http://www.fishnet.org/sick-fish-chart.htm
              i googled fish disease diagnosis.
              man I am sorry to here about this disaster. I hope you can get it going your way soon
              Last edited by cm12setx; 04-14-2014, 06:36 PM.
              Fishes says "pook pook".

Comment

Originally posted by gambs View Post
                Treating with melafix. Have lost 20 fish since Saturday afternoon. The school was of 30. Just lost a cory cat as well

Could it ve Columnaris Gambs ??? Sorry for your losses. I'd ask the LFS if they had the same issues with the remaining ones.

Comment

Possibly, treating with melafix. So far lost 3 Cory cats and 25 out of the 30 tetras

Comment

Grrrr. I'd try to buy something stronger @Gambs. Melafix is a "med" for minor infections. Don't know good antibacterial meds overthere being Dutch, but other members will.

Comment

melafix/pimafix combination is probably the most gentle treatment and usually works for a wide variety of bacteria. tetras and corys are sensitive. keep your aeration up as meds can reduce oxygen

whenever i need something more heavy duty i use maracyn/maracyn-2 depending on the illness. its more for widespread infections...but yes can cause stress and some fish can die in treatment.

using melafix, remember to take out your carbon if you have any. i usually remove even purigen from my filters if i need to dose

Comment

Doesn't matter now. All but 5 tetras and all corys but 2 have died. I hope HAW is a respectable business and gives me my money back. 32 fish in all have perished

Comment

Originally posted by gambs View Post
                          Doesn't matter now. All but 5 tetras and all corys but 2 have died. I hope HAW is a respectable business and gives me my money back. 32 fish in all have perished

Sorry to hear Gams. Think the LFS itself will have had the same problems. 32 fish in such a short period of time :!that's really a shame !! Aad

Comment

Man that sucks. hope you find out what the problem is/was.
                            125g: Empty For Now
                            90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
                            Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

hope you figure it out too.

its the unfortunate part of the hobby. its sucks but we have all been there at one point or another. once i bought some fish from petsmart and lost about 80% of my tank within a week. looked ok in store, but obviously not. only a few survived. they only gave me money back because the fish were still under their warranty.

i just let the tank run with the survivors for a while before adding anything new.

Comment

Working...
                              X