Tap water Ph on the decline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap water Ph on the decline?

I read in another thread that one of our highly esteemed posters (Hi, Sunny!) has seen recent drops in Ph. I have noticed the same thing but thought it was just me. Have others seen this also in the past few months? Is Houston tap water changing? Is it seasonal?
    One good tank deserves another

I think there are a few members I've spoken to that described the same issue as I had. In my opinion, this is going to be a long term trend due to the move from ground water to surface water sources for municipal water supply. If you have a deep well, you shouldn't theoretically have any problems.
    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Another possibility is that the utility softens outgoing water at the treatment plant in deference to household plumbing/appliance longevity and efficiency

Comment

I've noticed the same thing, but it's nothing a little epsom salt and baking soda can't correct

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

I use baking soda but had not heard that Epsom salts should also be used to raise/maintain Ph. What is its benefit?

Comment

Raises alkalinity, to keep pH stable. You can also use the salt from home depot posted in another thread on here

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it's also good for their gill function, like aquarium salt

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Epsom helps buffer gh. That and it helps flush fish digestive tract. I use table salt when treating ich with high temp because it aids in gill function.

Comment

I believe it raises the carbonate hardness, as well as the general hardness, at least from what I've seen online. But who knows, there's plenty of bad info online. Hopefully I'm not spreading any

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Comment

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate so it has no affect on carbonate hardness but calcium carbonate (kalkwasser) will.

Comment

Good to know

Comment

I just watch this on in few minutes ago and I would like to share

Comment

Great info Hung.
                          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Ohh, now I get it. Baking soda raises KH and Epsom salt raises GH. Thanks guys!

Comment

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate so it has no affect on carbonate hardness but calcium carbonate (kalkwasser) will.

Magnesium Sulfate has laxitive properties so it will help keep the long digestive tracts moving on the Tropheus/Petro group. Would help with prevention of bloat issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X