No announcement yet.

DIY tank tops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panels for a solid top - http://www.lowes.com/pd_163816-337-R...vers&facetInfo=

Use the 'grid' that Austy16414 is referring to for structural support if the panels end up too bendy - silicone the grid to the top. :P
    I said, "Howdy" he said, "Hi"

Comment

Originally posted by f1stephens View Post
      Panels for a solid top - http://www.lowes.com/pd_163816-337-R...vers&facetInfo=

Use the 'grid' that Austy16414 is referring to for structural support if the panels end up too bendy - silicone the grid to the top. :P
      I like the way you think! My only worry would be the plastic holding up under higher heat lights like T5s

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Good point - I have left behind fluorescents and incandescents for the digital age of LEDs - love the digital timers...

Comment

Same here, LEDs all the way

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Fancyfish, your cats knock the top off & pee in the tank...? I'm not sure if we should feel sorry for you, the fish, or the cats! I have cats and believe they are inherently fickle and evil in the sense that eventually, perhaps not today, but eventually, they will get their revenge for some perceived slight {CAT: "No lap time tonight?, Fine, I will pee in your tank when you are not looking!"}. That's got to be some story to tell... But options for you; search interweb for "scat-mat" but I urge caution so that you don't simultaneously zap your fish {put on top or on floor where they jump from} or look for pigeon spikes to temporarily put on the edges of your tank. Another idea that you can find at the 'co/marts' is double sided pet tape - they don't like the sticky on their paws. You can just remove the paper from the ends to get it to stick to your tank and expose the top side to your cat. Once you can break the habit, they should stop. I try to booby-trap spots where I don't want my cats jumping. For example, my new fish tank, while it was cycling, I left the top off the tank... Before any of you cat lovers pounce on me {pun intended} only when I was home - I figure it was fair game if they actually made it into the tank... Otherwise, I stack DVDs that fall over when they jump on something, or simply block the space they can jump onto. If pigeon spikes are too aggressive, I have resorted to a foam board shield / wall - when they hit it and it falls over, that scares them pretty good - the plus side is that you can cut to fit lots of spaces and it is inexpensive. What are the chances they are peeing in one end and drinking from the other?

Comment

Working...
            X