Fish Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Room

Finally starting to get settled into the new house. The floor started off as carpet, so I got that taken out and tile put in to match the tile in bathrooms/kitchen/fireplace. I'm making the racks and stuff now for the room.

Here's what I have so far.
    Two racks, each hold a 55g (with 20long sump below) and 2x 20's on the top rack.

Next rack to be built is for 36x18 footprints. It will house a 68g in the middle (with a 20long on the ground for a sump like the other racks) and a 40b on top. That will be placed on the left wall next to the 55g rack.

Just around the corner to the left will have my bagging/shipping table. Then the wall to the right will be my saltwater wall. Couple frag tanks will eventually go here once my big tank has become established in 5-6 months or so.

Sounds like a sweet setup

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

So long retail?

Comment

What are you doing about humidity in the room? I know my fish room can get quite humid and I've heard that's bad for the house.
        Guppies:
        Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
        Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
        HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

I've seen fish rooms with black mold...

This person in particular took care of the problem with a lot of cleaning with bleach and then omitting heaters from his setups.

Comment

I have a dehumidifier that ill be running in the room. Im also looking at putting in a ceiling exhaust fan like you would have in bathrooms

Comment

find a way to get the dehumidifier to drain by its self . it will fill up quick!

Comment

Yeah, in my apt with it running 3 hours on and 3 hours off, i would empty out the 2g container daily. I'm going to take the bucket off and use the hose attachment and have it drop into a 5g bucket or bigger so it can at least go for 2-3 days before capping out

Comment

Expensive as all hell to run too. 600 watts at .10/kwh running 12 hours a day. Right around 22.00/month.

Comment

My summertime electric bills have decreased noticeably since I started running a dehumidifier nearly 24/7.

ETA: Congrats re your new fish room, what joy!
                    Another way to modulate humidity a bit (to augment not replace dehumidifier) would be to put a thick area rug somewhere in the room. Carpets and rugs take in or give off moisture depending on ambient conditions, which is why rooms with rugs tend to not feel 'clammy' as rooms with inorganic floor coverings. Plus, a thick rug might be helpful when working at your bagging and shipping table.
                    Last edited by Lannie; 04-09-2014, 08:54 AM.
                    One good tank deserves another

Comment

Looking like a great setup. Congrats

Comment

Little update. Ive been jumping back and forth between my new salt tank and the fish room. Got some work done with the fish room. Starting to look real good! Was able to fit the pvc overflow plumbing snuggly in between the vertical supports of the rack while still have very easy access to them. The Lufubu are loving their new home. Surely beats the 70 degree tank in the garage with no lights. Was able to use the new leslies pool filter sand. Only took maybe 5min or running a hose in a bucket half full of the sand before it was crystal clear. I either have a different sand at my location of people over exaggerated the dirtiness of the new sand.

Pic of the racks

Left tank plumbing

Right tank plumbing

FTS

My first time doing anything but black painted backgrounds. This rustoleum deep blue is a real solid color. Yes, it would be a huge eye sore if the tanks were in the living room or something, but in a fish room, it looks great. I have 6 led light fixtures arriving this week, 4x 48" for the 2x 55g tanks and the two sets of 2x 24" tanks and 2x 36" fixtures for the 68g/40b rack that will be built on thursday. For the right tank, I just have to make the drip tray for the wetdry as well as set up micron sock holders then it is done. The left tank is waiting on the pvc to dry (by the morning) before I start running water through it. Each set of two 20gals will be powered by an air pump, unless the tank gets overstocked then i'll toss on a HOB.

I'm off thurs/fri this week so I'm hoping to get most everything done with the room, finally

Comment

Thank you for the update. Looking great! How'd you get the tanks to stick on the ceiling like that?!

Comment

Congrats on the new home. Like the fish room. Lots of cool things.
                            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Built the 36x18 rack. Bottom tank is a 68gal (36x18x25 tall), above that will be a 40b. The 68 is going to be an awesome growout/fry tank. Large water volume with no center brace to get in my nets way

Comment

Working...
                              X