New 55g, looking for something to breed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 55g, looking for something to breed

Just set up a 55g and I want to breed something. Any recommendations? I want something somewhat uncommon, but that would have demand so I can move some fry. Right now I have two orange rainbow cichlids, but I'm not sure they're a pair, so I may not keep them. I'm kind of a SA/CA guy, but I'm not into angels or discus.

I'm assuming cichlids Central and South American . You could try a set up for electric blue ram cichlids (though not really rare). The bigger cichlids take a lot more room unless you've got grow out tanks. Not sure if your yellow rainbow cichlid you are referring to are salvinis. They are a bright yellow with black markings on the top half and orange belly
    Emerald Green Rainbowfish
    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

No, they are not salvini. I am considering salvini, though, I like them a lot. They are rainbow cichlids, but I think they are a more orange color morph. Most of the other ones I've seen are yellow/blue.

Comment

Try some dwarf pikes, smaller and would work and breed in that size tank. Not common and are sought after. Curviceps and a few of their relatives would work well in that size and produce well.
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually got a pair of crenicichla notopthalmus for my planted tank, but the male was so aggressive towards her, I ended up just keeping the female. And I know compressiceps are even worse, so I don't think I will do dwarf pikes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLorax View Post
            No, they are not salvini. I am considering salvini, though, I like them a lot. They are rainbow cichlids, but I think they are a more orange color morph. Most of the other ones I've seen are yellow/blue.
            Then probably heterotilapia multipinosa the orange rainbow cichlid- more compressed body than salvini- those are cool
            Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Dwarf pikes are way cool!
              Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
                Then probably heterotilapia multipinosa the orange rainbow cichlid- more compressed body than salvini- those are cool
                As opposed to homotilapia multipinosa.

One good tank deserves another

Comment

Originally posted by Lannie View Post
                  As opposed to homotilapia multipinosa.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...-multispinosa/
                  Lol.
                  Pictures on that site don't do it justice. Those guys are more of an orangish yellow when full grown and well cared for.
                  Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Those are cool fish but they eat plants like it's going out of style
                    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

How about some Aequidens Pulcher (Blue Acara)?

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Actually, I've always wanted to keep blue acara, and I ordered 3 online a few weeks ago. They arrived covered in ich, and two of them died the first night. I treated the third and he's healthy now, but he is extremely aggressive. Beats up all my geos and they are bigger than him. The vendor is sending me 3 new ones so we'll see how it goes but if they're from the same batch I'm worried they'll be just as insane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh wow, sorry to hear that. Probably pissed he watched his buds die lol they'd be a great fit if you did a species only for the 55. Plenty of room if the ratio is right

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Working...
                          X