Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baby guppies

Firstttime to have fry any advice probably about 20 or more

Baby guppies are fun. The guppy parents sometimes are bad about eating their babies. I start my babies off on very finely crumbled flake food and they grow pretty fast. I also have special fry food I use that is flake/dry. If you are experienced with hatching brine shrimp that is a really good food for guppies. Also Microworms are good. What ever tank you keep them in, keep plants and a snail or two and do frequent water changes. It's hard to not over feed them because they really don't eat that much at a time. A good corner filter is very helpful.

I hope this helps you!
    Guppies:
    Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
    Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
    HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Thanks

Comment

try to keep the fry separate from the parents using a net breeder. you can find them at any LFS. this will keep the fry in the same water they were born and safely house them. there is no way for them to get through the mesh as is the case with the plastic breeders that have slits on the sides, sometimes the fry can squeeze out.

put some plants in there like anacharis, which grows quickly and is cheaper. otherwise java moss is a good cover too. guppies will eat their young. typically they stay close to the top, so if there is no net breeder available, floating plants work best.

i always use to use fry food from LFS. it just looks like powder. either sprinkle on the top or put a little in an eye dropper with water and squirt it where the fry are most common. otherwise yes you can crush up regular flake as fine as you can. they will also peck off of live plants.

the newly hatched brine are very good for growth, as well as microworms as mentioned. the microworm colonies can get kind of smelly since many use oatmeal as a food base, so i never really used them for long.

Comment

Right now i have them in a breeder box will be setting up there new home soon. Was thinking about a sponge filter any filter advice

Comment

Sponge filter are good for small tanks with fry. It won't suck any of the fry to their death.
            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Agreed with the sponge filter. even if you have a hang on back filter, just cover the intake with a sponge cover. they sell those too pretty cheap

Comment

Thanks guys and is there any special sponge or will a normal sponge be ok

Comment

I use a breeder sponge. they look like a round dark sponge with an air tube. Most lfs. sale them. I think you can get one at houston aquarium warehouse.
                  Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X