150g Reef build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150g Reef build

So, I was going to upgrade my 40b reef tank to a 60g 48x24x12 shallow reef tank until I found and got a hold of this beast of a tank. 150g 47x24x31 peninsula style tank. 2x 1" drains and 1x 1" return inside of the overflow and has 2x 1" holes in the base that I'll be plugging up. Weighs too much for its own good. One of the old style thick 1/2" glass marineland tanks with the real thick trims.

It's still a month until I move into my house so the tank will stay dry until then outside of cleaning it.

The plan is for it to be bare bottom, minimalist rock formations. Maybe 50-60lb of rock coated in mostly SPS. Lightly fish stocked, keeping my yellow tang and melanarus wrasse, but I'll add a couple clowns, chromis colony for the open water etc etc, but nothing too big like angels or anything. 40b sump with a marinepure block in there to make up for the low amount of rock in the display. BM NAC6 skimmer. May need to upgrade later on, but it more than enough for now. I don't think I'm going to dose outside of using kalkwasser in the ATO. I'll just have to rig up a system where I can do water changes just by switching ball valves from the adjacent room. Still have time to figure out more details!

Nice brah!

Always loved the 3-way viewing.

Might be challenging to come up with a good scape but if you pull it off it's gonna look sweet.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I've been staring at google images for the last couple weeks trying to come up with ideas!

Some of the ones I found that I like the most. Keep it simple!

This last one would be awesome, but I'd be afraid to try and pull it off with bare bottom. If something tips, theres no sand for cushion!

Comment

I like the last one the most!

Personally, I think the cutting board looks better than BB.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

This gets my vote. More structured and less anemic than the others.
          http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Fast forward updates:
            2x4 Skeleton:

Skinning:

Paint + tank on stand in living room:

Scaping: Macro rock mortar is awesome!

I'm working on plumbing now. Hopefully by early next week, the tank will be wet

Comment

Looking very good Andrew. Good approach
              http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Dude.. looks great. How are your trophs? It's been a while since I've been out there

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

awesome tank looking good !

Comment

Looking good man!

Comment

Got my light mounts and controller in. 4x AI Sol Blues. There's a lot of cords with these fixtures so I'll be installing a canopy and mounting everything inside. The mounts are a nice rail system so I can slide around the lights where I want so I'll use that in the canopy as well.

Everything 100%

Blues 80, Royal Blues 80, Whites 50

These things really produce the light. 70/40 degree lenses for my 31" deep tank will help a lot. I'll be able to mount them a foot above the water with still being able to grow SPS. I'm looking more towards 6" above the tank trim though.

I played around with lightning a bit and gave up for the night with configuring. I don't have the beer stock to play with 30x light set points on the controller

Comment

nice!!!!!
                        My fish has no eye, he is called "fsh"

Comment

Disclosure: Ugliest canopy build ever! Mis-measuring and laziness at its finest!

Top frame

Cut out where the door will be so I can fit my noggin inside

Me realizing that I made the top frame 1.5" too short... instead of redoing it, lets add a 2x4 there to fill the gap!

Skinning, notice the oddly placed 2x4 gap fillers?

After all of that, It's going to turn out okay if you don't look inside of it.

Just need to add the door, paint it and mount the lights. Not sure if I want to do a hinge with a tank this tall, or more or less have the door rest on the top frame. Ahh well, I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Comment

Finished the tanks' furniture.
                            Turned out okay.

Tank is at a little stand still for the time being. Decided to finish the fish room tanks before continuing with this one. Still have a lot of small odds and ends to do before im willing to get this tank wet. Heck, I haven't even leak tested it yet, it should be fine though

Comment

Working...
                            X