Show Tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show Tank?

I see the term "show tank" used frequently. What does it mean?

I believe it's either relative or literal. The relative show tank is one that someone will use as the "show" tank meaning it sits in the living room or dining room where people can view it. Not really used for breeding purposes. Some of the best breeders I've encountered have some of the ugliest tanks with flower pots and algae. Some tanks are actually considered show quality. Those are the high grade tanks. Elos, ADG, ADA, etc.
    210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
    125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Mean "Show off tank"

Comment

mogan said it well.
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Yea mogan is right... Tank is like a decorating piece to enhance beauty of place...
          track and trace

Comment

Besides the obvious already stated here, show tanks often refer to the general dimensions - a show tank is typically a longer and shallower tank versus a standard dimension tank that tends to be taller. For example, a very typical LFS 29-gallon tank is 24-inches long and 24-inches tall, a 30-long (30 gallon) is 36-inches long and only 16-inches tall. It's a very apparent difference and a personal preference in viewing quality. This difference in dimensions will follow through all the way up into the larger tank sizes - I just passed up a 125-gallon tank 6-ft long, 22-inches deep, and 18-inches wide. With taller tanks you can easily buy a variety of fish and plants that will occupy the bottom, middle, and top of the tank... I suppose it's not any different with a shallower tank, just more spread out. My preference are the long tanks as I enjoy watching the fish swim back and forth and different bottom fish claim different areas of the tank.
            I said, "Howdy" he said, "Hi"

Comment

I realize it's an old thread, but I think show tank is something like those tanks at the Fish Gallery: nice & clean set up with some of your favorite fish. Something you are proud of and never get bored looking at. Even a breeder tank could be a show tank, right? lol.
              010G Long fin BN grow-out
              020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              040G Hongi Sweden breeder
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community
              150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Besides the obvious already stated here, show tanks often refer to the general dimensions - a show tank is typically a longer and shallower tank versus a standard dimension tank that tends to be taller. For example, a very typical LFS 29-gallon tank is 24-inches long and 24-inches tall, a 30-long (30 gallon) is 36-inches long and only 16-inches tall. It's a very apparent difference and a personal preference in viewing quality. This difference in dimensions will follow through all the way up into the larger tank sizes - I just passed up a 125-gallon tank 6-ft long, 22-inches deep, and 18-inches wide. With taller tanks you can easily buy a variety of fish and plants that will occupy the bottom, middle, and top of the tank... I suppose it's not any different with a shallower tank, just more spread out. My preference are the long tanks as I enjoy watching the fish swim back and forth and different bottom fish claim different areas of the tank.
                i would call this a custom tank
                280g:peacocks
                210g : haps
                12g : shellies
                (4) 55g:breeding tanks

Comment

Tanks are built to a lot of standard sizes. Some fish like a tall tank. Other like shallow. I have seen some real nice nano tanks being shown.
                  So big is not the only size. Truth is it's about the joy you have with your own tanks. If you choose to put your tank, or tanks in a spot were they can be seen by any one coming, or going from your home. It's a show tank.

Comment

I realize it's an old thread, but I think show tank is something like those tanks at the Fish Gallery: nice & clean set up with some of your favorite fish. Something you are proud of and never get bored looking at. Even a breeder tank could be a show tank, right? lol.

You are right. They have some beautiful Show Tanks at fish gallery, but that's how they make their money. Personally, My big tank looks as nice. just not as big. As for breeders I show my breeders. Even though they tinned to look dirty all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                      You are right. They have some beautiful Show Tanks at fish gallery, but that's how they make their money. Personally, My big tank looks as nice. just not as big. As for breeders I show my breeders. Even though they tinned to look dirty all the time.
                      Troy, we would love to see your show tanks!
                      020G Leulepi grow-out
                      030G Leulepi breeder
                      030G SRD FlowerHorn
                      090G Tangs community
                      100G Tangs community

Comment

There are a few pictures all over the place in this forums. Mostly South American. I need to update a few of them.

Comment

My show tank
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by agamberutti; 01-13-2015, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by agamberutti View Post
                            My show tank [ATTACH]26938[/ATTACH]
                            Are those severum in your show tank?
                            Lol, I can see this thread turning into a show tank thread now.
                            020G Leulepi grow-out
                            030G Leulepi breeder
                            030G SRD FlowerHorn
                            090G Tangs community
                            100G Tangs community

Comment

Ya super reds

Comment

Working...
                              X