Cloudy water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmalford View Post
    Good to hear. I was about to tell you that if it is still cloudy to just sell it for a dollar. To me.
    Well you might can have, the water is still cloudy just not as bad as it was. I'm not sure what to do anymore with it.

Comment

Have you by any chance tested the water? See if something strange is happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would give it a couple of days and turn off the filters off... but thats my opinion.

When you add sand that always happens. I never add fish tell it goes away
        Four 75gal - SA cichlids
        ten 29gal - livebearer breeding
        two 125gal - predator tanks

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
          I agree look like its Cycling. It will clear up in a few days.
          I had the same freak out when my tank went cloudy. What is cycling? What causes it? Can I avoid it?

Comment

Originally posted by Renzo View Post
            I had the same freak out when my tank went cloudy. What is cycling? What causes it? Can I avoid it?
            Cycling is the process of moving through your initial nitrogen cycle and building beneficial bacteria. Ammonia peaks, followed by nitrite, then finally nitrate, and the tank is cycled when all levels reach 0. This is something that you would not want to avoid, as your tank will not be able to handle your bio load without beneficial bacteria. An uncycled tank will only cause more issues
            Last edited by Austy16414; 11-18-2014, 07:34 PM.

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

i think Renzo was more referring to what causes the water to become cloudy and how to avoid it becoming cloudy, not avoiding cycling. of course i agree with austy you shouldnt avoid cycling a tank, or it will never be in stasis and you will be continually chasing water parameters to make it hospitable for fish.

cycling happens over time with the build up of good bacteria to break down toxins into compounds that are not as harmful to fish. you can buy chemicals like seachem prime to introduce this good bacteria in doses to cycle a tank faster. ammonia is produced by fish waste and decaying food. bacteria breaks it down into nitrites. these two are the most toxic to fish. ideally you want those levels at zero or close to it all the time. nitrites are in turn broken down into nitrates. the nitrates are not as toxic, but will cause issues in high levels. routine water changes keep that level reduced (or live plants will absorb them as a fertilizer).

the tank will inevitably become cloudy for a short period, but will clear up over time. the cloudy look can be caused by a few different things:

-the introduction of fish into a new tank
              -the gravel/sand being disturbed/cleaned
              -your filter could need new carbon or a cleaning
              -you could need more filtration to handle the bio-load in your tank
              -or after a water change it can become cloudy too for a brief period

best way to avoid any cloudy look IMO is to keep on top of your water changes and filter maintenance. when the water gets dirty, it gets cloudy.

Comment

I upgraded my filter to the Fluval 110 and clean it weekly now. No more cloudy water. Thanks for the input. The Fluval is awesome

Comment

Cloudy water

I opted to put the Fluval 110 on my 55 gallon tank. Glad I did

Comment

Working...
                  X