Back Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Again

I joined the site a few years ago after buying my first tank which I believed to be a 55 G. I stocked my tank rather quickly with Gold Barbs, Zebra Danios, good ole Neon Tetras, along with some sort of Pleco from my mothers tank. Two years ago I moved from Deer Park back into Med Center and I had Houston Fish Gallery move my aquarium(yes, i was afraid to muck something up). My stocking has remained the same since then minus a few casualties. Sitting steady with 6 Gold Barbs, 8 Neon Tetras, and 8 Zebra Danios. Here a couple of weeks ago I got the itch for a "centerpiece" fish. I was back and forth between 2 GBR's or Boesemani Rainbows. Last week I finally got over to Fish Gallery and had a chance to see how nicely the Boesemani responded to human interaction and got hooked. I spruced up my tank with some Java Fern and some other type of plant(horrible I don't know lol). Last Wednesday I purchased 2 male Rainbows and I absolutely love them. Now I would like more....I have been hit with the dreaded MTS!!! Looking at my tank measurements I have realized that my tank is more like a 45 G and more Rainbows would be out of the question. I would love to grab a 120 G, but that will have to wait until I am a homeowner for sure. I think that in the next month or so I may move up to maybe a 70 - 90 G aquarium. How difficult is the process of re-homing your fish to a new aquarium. I imagine the process of cycling the aquarium wouldn't be difficult as I can simple seed the tank with media from my old aquarium.

Long post just to say hello huh? lol

Hello and welcome aboard again, lol. Swapping to a bigger tank is not difficult if everything is done slowly and methodically. First, get larger tank. Set it up entirely as you'd like, substrate, wood, plants, hardscape, ect. Get it cycling, use Stability (Seachem product) to establish bacterial colonies. Upgrade filters and even consider running on your current tank while you gather the stuff for your upgrade, that way its established with bacteria for the move. Generally it takes a few weeks to really get a filter 'seasoned'. Driftwood and rocks from your previous tank can also be used and host a myriad of beneficial bacteria as well. You'll be good to go in no time. Post pics up, I always like nice rainbows and Boesemani are one of my favs...
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Thank you much Mnemenoi.

I am going to attach some pictures extracted from a video I recorded of the tank. These were about an hour after I got them into the tank so their colors were still dull. They are looking better now... I can't wait until they reach adult hood.

Just an hour in my tank and already schooling with the rest of my buddies lol.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

They will certainly be the showpiece of the tank when they get larger. Great choice and they do well even mixed with other rainbows.
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Welcome (back) to the Box! I always liked rainbows as well and those will definitely be a nice addition to the tank.

+1 As mnemenoi gave good advice. the conversion to a new tank is not difficult when you take the time to do it right. i tend to take the slower approach too and let the tank cycle on its own for around two weeks before introducing fish for bacteria growth and ensure all the water parameters stabilize. having some used filter media/ornaments/wood/etc. helps, or the Stability to jump start the bacteria growth.

Comment

Welcome Back to the Box!
            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I'm definitely taking my time this time around. I want to go with a heavily planted tank. I keep bouncing around between black fluorite or eco complete. I'm gonna be patient and do more research before I pull the trigger. Thanks for the welcomes!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Working...
              X