DIY Reverse wet/dry filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Reverse wet/dry filter

So I wanted to add another filter to a tank of mine. Unfortunately I have no room below the tank at all. So why not make something above the tank. Have water pump out of the tank then drain through media back into it. Right now Im just using an old maxijet1200 to power it. I can probably either add a second maxijet or just give it a little bigger of a pump. It's small, but it can still hold probably 60 pot scrubbers. Since the tank has 2 penguin 350s on it too, I'm not going to worry about this wet dry having a pre-filter, it's going to be all media since the trays will be so easy to rinse out during maintenance. It's not the prettiest but I don't care about looks on this tank. Or you could hide it nicely in a canopy.

Before:

Marked holes to cut:

Finished:

Oh and total cost for me was 8.00 and 45min of time since I had stuff laying around.
    If you bought everything new:
    Drawers: 8.00
    Pump: 15.00 from ebay
    Media: 8.00-10.00 from dollar store
    Still very cheap for the quality of filtration you'll be getting

Comment

Hmm cool idea tho could also make a cool waterfall with that concept

Comment

Really nice man ,multiple uses , can be used as a carbon filter, and really tweak to any media .
        125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

assuming nothing gets clogged in the trickle down it seems like a cool idea.

Comment

Very nice job and cheap, I will make one like you for my 40 Gal tank. Thank you for the idea.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have ~300gph being pumped in, and it can probably drain over double that. The holes are thick. Also, the drawers are a little bowed, so the center holes of each drawer are untouched now, so they'll get used with a bigger pump. Not sure if it needs the bigger pump after seeing it run with media for a little while. Great thing is, it's a wetdry that you dont have to deal with siphons, and the pump is down near the sand so it can stay running during water changes! Goofy looking filter, but works!

Comment

I like this
                210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
                125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Didn't get as much media in it as I thought I would, but still a lot. Wanted to leave it a little open to play it safe from clogging. Still a nice little filter. I could see them being worked into "fish rooms" if designed right. Its like 8"x8"x10" tall so it takes up no space. Can use virtually any side unit too. Walmart has a good selection of them

Comment

its cool and all but man thats gotta be an EYESORE!!
                    175 tropheus Chaitika
                    125 tropheus Ujiji
                    90 tropheus Nkonde

Comment

Oh, my whole fish tank breeding wall is an eyesore, so it actually fits in nicely! I wouldn't use it on a show tank

Comment

I'd cut a big hole in the bottom and put in egg crate to prevent clogging. That's just me though. I made something similar to this but I used like a small bucket I had laying around

Comment

I was thinking that, but I don't think there would be as good spread of water over the media. The drawers aren't the best design, nothing beats a bucket full of solid media, but Id figure I would give the drawers a shot for means of convenience of cleaning and versatility. I could easily switch it over to mechanical or chemical filtration. I may rework/upgrade the side of filter and take these ideas for this tank, but heck, if I tossed this one on a 10-20g, it would be golden

Comment

Great idea. I can see so many ways this could be adapted.
                            300g Discus tank

200g African tank - Malawi

36g
                            Fry (Leleupi Fry)

Comment

Working...
                            X