Aquatop CF 500 UV Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquatop CF 500 UV Review

So on the 22nd of March 2013 I received my Aquatop CF 500UV. It is rated for 175 gallons according to the packaging. The filter is 18” x 11” x 12”. The four media baskets are pretty roomy, each holding two liters of media. The motor is rated at 525gph, and I'm sure this is with the filter empty. Also, the unit is equipped with a 9 watt UV sterilizer bulb. It's practically the same as the Aquatop CF400UV, which I did a review on before.

You can get the filter here.

For this filter I figured I'd do an unboxing + setup video. [Be warned, I've no qualms about cursing. If that offends you I'm sorry, but you'll hear the occasional ****, **** and damn in the video.]

Overall I really like the filter. It's dead silent, I like that. Priming it is a chore, but priming a lot of filters is a pain in the back. Whenever I have to prime it again I'm going to fill the canister with water first, then prime it. It's been running for three weeks now, and I've no complaints. I took the spray bar off and just use the 90 degree elbow as my outflow, it seems to have higher flow that way. I also replaced the intake with a TOM Aquarium Surface Skimmer, which is really cool and works great. The reason I did that was because I had a white film on top of my water and it was rather gross to look at.

I would recommend this filter to anyone I know if they are in the market for a larger canister filter and are on a tight budget. Plus, TruAqua/Aquatop has great customer service, and that is a very important selling point for me.

Awesome video u should make more vids of all kinds of aquarium equipment

Comment

I want to. I plan on doing a review video on each new piece of equipment I get.

I'm also considering doing showcase videos of HFB member tanks if anyone's interested and my room mate is willing to shoot them. =D The rarer the fish the better.

Comment

Very productive video informative i use to have one of these but name brand was SunSun
        i might get one of these nice review!
        keep em coming
        Wc Canry Cheek, Lufubu

Comment

I just found out that the Aquatop 500 has 3/4 inch inside diameter tubing. This is problematic because I don't believe there are any CO2 systems that work with tubing with this larger diameter. Any suggestions?

Mike

Comment

They are cheap China low quality plastic parts that break pretty easy so be very careful when putting back together. You might have to rig it/DIY the hinges to get them to seal properly so they don't leak.

Comment

Working...
            X