Nitrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrate

Hey guys! I'm still trying to learn all the saltwater basics. I have my little tank set up and it seems to be doing well. I have the API Saltwater testing kit and my nitrate has been 20-40. My nitrite and ammonia are 0. What is a worrisome level of nitrate? And what do I need to do to remove it? Just water changes? Thanks!

Whats your set up like..... Filtration wise, size tank, livestock in it

Comment

Originally posted by SillySphynx24 View Post
      Hey guys! I'm still trying to learn all the saltwater basics. I have my little tank set up and it seems to be doing well. I have the API Saltwater testing kit and my nitrate has been 20-40. My nitrite and ammonia are 0. What is a worrisome level of nitrate? And what do I need to do to remove it? Just water changes? Thanks!
      If I read you right, you only just set up this tank right? How long? What did you do to cycle the tank?

Sometimes taking those readings alone are not enough. In themselves, they don't mean that your tank has been cycled. They could just mean your source water had no ammonia, no nitrite but it had nitrate.

That is different from the ability of your aquarium to convert all ammonia to nitrite and convert all nitrite to nitrate.

Comment

Nitrate

It is a 14g biocube. It has been running for months with live rocks, snails, crabs. I just purchased if from someone as my first tank. I have had it a few weeks and I have 2 Clarkii clowns, a blenny, goby and an anemone. All the little guys are doing great! I think my heater went haywire because it was on the lowest setting and kept getting hotter. I saw it at 85 and took the heater out. It's starting to get a little brown on the glass so I am going to pck up a few more snails and a shrimp. I did a water change on Sunday and did the readings last night.

Comment

Originally posted by SillySphynx24 View Post
          It is a 14g biocube. It has been running for months with live rocks, snails, crabs. I just purchased if from someone as my first tank. I have had it a few weeks and I have 2 Clarkii clowns, a blenny, goby and an anemone. All the little guys are doing great! I think my heater went haywire because it was on the lowest setting and kept getting hotter. I saw it at 85 and took the heater out. It's starting to get a little brown on the glass so I am going to pck up a few more snails and a shrimp. I did a water change on Sunday and did the readings last night.
          If you have had the tanks for months then it must have been cycled and the ammonia and nitrite of 0 is great.

A 20-40ppm Nitrate is not too bad for a fish only tank or one with easy coral but that number is a little high if you have more sensitive corals especially after a water change.

It's relative. What is your method of controlling nitrate? Skimmer, filter sock, or just water change? How much?

Comment

Re: Nitrate

How often do you feed and how much?
            20g mixed reef

Comment

Working...
            X