1.5gal DSM Iwagumi attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5gal DSM Iwagumi attempt

Well here goes! This is my first DSM and first Iwagumi attempt. Tank is roughly 1.5 gallons.

Start Date:

Specs:
    1.5 gallons
    8.5" x 6.5" x 6.25" (21.59 x 16.51 x 15.875cm)

Lighting:
    18W CFL 6500K spiral bulb

Hardscape:
    Black Star Rock
    ADA Amazonia Aquasoil

Flora:
    Hemianthus Callitrichoides 'Cuba' (HC 'Cuba')

Fauna:
    Crystal Red Shrimp
    Otocinclus Affinis
    Tiger nerite
    Last edited by mistahoo; 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM.

Lighting and Layout

Lighting

Layout

Last edited by mistahoo; 03-01-2013, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Day 5

Last edited by mistahoo; 03-01-2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Day 6

Rocks added

Top-Down View

Last edited by mistahoo; 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Looking good, I like the layout. Are you thinking about CO2 injection? I have heard of folks getting decent growth from HC via low tech methods, I guess I would just be worried about algae issues in such a small tank. Keep us updated and looking forward to hearing the progress!
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

Definitely doing CO2 injection. That's why I was asking about the disposable CO2 setups. When I feel like flooding the tank, I'll go out and get the ITSA 45g setup. Right now the tank is in its DSM phase. Tank is going to be a high tech build. I was growing some HC in a med light, low tech setup and I wasn't quite happy with how the HC was growing and looking. Lights are temporary for fast growth. The light for this tank is on it's way as we speak.

HC was growing under sunlight for the first few days. I have another DSM going on right now, but in a box with the same soil and I will keep it under sunlight only.
            Last edited by mistahoo; 03-01-2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Day 7

Comment

Re: 1.5gal DSM Iwagumi attempt

I just started to use this today. 30ml of Seachem Flourish and 946ml of water.

Comment

Looking awesome men !!!
                  125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Originally posted by Geral View Post
                    Looking awesome men !!!
                    Thanks again for the rocks! Had a tough time breaking them lol. Ended up breaking only one rock. I'll probably use the others for another tank.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

I like that idea of mixing Flourish into a spray bottle! I think that would be a great idea for dart frog vivariums, I suppose I might be wary about it affecting the frogs though...
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

Does it affect them? I thought of the idea when I was dosing my tanks and misting the 1.5. No clue if it'll do any good, but I'm sure it won't do any harm. ADA soil has been doing wonders. My Neos love it. Hopefully I get great results!

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Not sure if it would or not, but really wet amphibian skin is notorious for picking up anything and I would be worried it might. ADA soil is great from what I have heard, though I have only tried the Fluval stratum and Brightwell. Might have to grab a bag and try it out for fun... Always wanted to try out a fun Wabi-Kusa....
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                            Not sure if it would or not, but really wet amphibian skin is notorious for picking up anything and I would be worried it might. ADA soil is great from what I have heard, though I have only tried the Fluval stratum and Brightwell. Might have to grab a bag and try it out for fun... Always wanted to try out a fun Wabi-Kusa....
                            Wabi-Kusa looks interesting. I've always had this misconception of what it was at first because I was watching the plant man yell at those workers and talk about Wabi-Kusa. Thought it was some stem plant lol. There's this thread floating around TPT talking about it being a "magic ingredient" for shrimp breeding. It seems likely since my Neos have been breeding with it, but then again, I have nothing else to compare it to other than a Yellow Neo tank that has been somewhat breeding. If you want to try it out, I still have a bunch leftover from the 5gal and 1.5gal.
                            Last edited by mistahoo; 03-02-2013, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Wow, that nano and HC you got from me is doing wonders. A lot more HC than I thought there would be.
                              Will trade Fish Stuff for Camera Lens and Anime Figures.

Comment

Working...
                              X