Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Interest in Forming a New Houston Aquarium Society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just now had the pleasure ( <-- sarcasm) of reading this thread. I am saddened and embarrassed by the behavior of the regular members of HFB in this thread. I am floored that any of you would resort to the string of personal attacks against the OP for his opinion of how the other clubs are run. You could all take a lesson from Charles and Tim in how they responded. Notice how they spoke up about HAS and GHAC without attacking the OP.

I'm leaving this thread intact to show exactly how NOT to treat others on HFB. This was ridiculous.

The OP doesn't have to like how HAS or GHAC is run. Honestly, he's not the first person to have these exact same opinions of both clubs...he's just the first one to lay it out in a thread and attempt to create something he would find more valuable. If you all want to take that as an attack on the club members, then all I can say is "Butch up, Sally".
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by marauder_77868 View Post
      We have evolved to what we are because of lack of interest. I have tried repeatedly over the last few years to get interest in regular meetings. Everytime I schedule an awesome speaker or event the same half dozen or so people show up. Its embarassing. At some point I'll try to push it again. We actually had a conversation about that today with some long time members and we are all pretty frustrated at the lack of interest. But I travel around this area to auctions and know many of the people primarily running the clubs in this state and beyond. It is always the same, to more or less extent. You have a core group of a few people who attend all the events and a much larger group that goes to auctions. We're going to bring in speakers for FOTAS that should fill any hotel ballroom that we want to rent...and most of the seats will be empty. But come Sunday the auction will be PACKED. Every now and then over the years I've tried to force the issue and do regular meetings with cool speakers...and each time I've gotten the feeling I'm beating my head against the wall. If you'd like to help I can and will welcome it. If you'd like to attend I can and will welcome that too. Its hard to be an all areas encompassing club because those people that are interested in tropical fish as a whole rather that little specific areas of expertise at a time are fewer and fewer. It saddens me a bit but I also realize the hobby is changing. Its probably alot based on the economy but also equal parts of lots more stuff competing for your time, entertainment or otherwise, as well. I will readily admit that I've grown a bit complacent about things. Its kind of hard not to sometimes. When I still have the same general interest in fish that I've always had and I see that sort of thing waning about me its pretty easy to get a little discouraged or complacent. That having been said, we decided today to make another push for the sort of thing you're asking for. I dont have real great hopes for it but I'm dedicated to trying anyway. If you'd like to be a part of it you would be welcome. I'm familiar with the way clubs are run in other parts of the country. I'm familiar with the interest level they have on a continual basis. I have been to HAS events in Houston for over 30 years in one capacity or another. It has never been, at least in that time, like the north or northeast. I'm guessing it never will be perhaps if for no other reason than geography and drive time. It has, consistently, always been a club and area that enjoys auctions and has a high level of attendance for them. I'd be happy to talk some of the history of it with you. I guess I'm bouncing around a little with this, but its late. Hopefully some of this will make sense and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.
      Charles,
      As a long time member behind the scenes, I have to apologize for my nonattendance. I remember the "days of glory" when we held monthly meetings at the Augusta library, I learned so much from the many reputable speakers and other members. I enjoyed the friendships from members I met "in person", we traded among ourselves outside the meetings, the Christmas parties and home gatherings, the come see my aquarium visits. I looked forward to the fish Fancier like it was a check in the mail. All the information contained in it, the other member’s names, other clubs ads, the articles and much more. I was even voted in as the Prez for a bit. If only the fringes could see what is involved in the business of a bonfired nonprofit organization. I remember the grass roots involvement of "FISH RANCH' a very generous benefactor.
      Thank all of the members who have hung in the organization for all the years they have.
      To those who are “new school”. GET INVOLVED! Just like the old days if you wanted change you helped create it but you always worked with the club! Like all Societies they are only as good as the members they have. So before you complain about your organization, do something to say I was part of it and responsible for its existence. (Has this reached manifesto yet?)
      With the invention of the internet one no longer need’s to wait for a meeting, or go to someone’s house, or see their aquarium, all I have to do is satisfy my curiosity by turning on my computer and seeing and reading all the information of the world. How often do you meet the people of history?
      Tom Benedict
      For all you have done "THANK YOU" which always goes unsaid.

Comment

This is Lee, the guy that started this tread almost a year ago. I was shocked at the display of comments given after my post. I then realized how much I would not fit in with many who made comments. Then there was "one ray of hope". The note from Charles. He said he would be willing to talk to me about a structured club in Houston. I replied and gave my name and phone number and e-mail address and said I'd take him up on his offer. Guess what, nothing ever became of it. All it turned out to be was just "hot air". Right now I have made friends with a couple guys thinking the same way as I do, and we enjoy talking about our fish, I enjoy my club of one as it does exactly what I like to do. I do my thing and go out in the boat fishing. (I have a lake home on Lake Livingston) Just wanted to let you know what happened to me. No hard feelings. That's all water over the dam.

Comment

Air Duct Cleaning Houston TX

That's very well in writing I realise & should state good job.. I will hold it in mind, thanks for circulating the data hold updating, looking ahead for more posts. Keep it up...

http://donaldductandsteam.com/air-du...ng-houston-tx/

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Bauman View Post
            This is Lee, the guy that started this tread almost a year ago. I was shocked at the display of comments given after my post. I then realized how much I would not fit in with many who made comments. Then there was "one ray of hope". The note from Charles. He said he would be willing to talk to me about a structured club in Houston. I replied and gave my name and phone number and e-mail address and said I'd take him up on his offer. Guess what, nothing ever became of it. All it turned out to be was just "hot air". Right now I have made friends with a couple guys thinking the same way as I do, and we enjoy talking about our fish, I enjoy my club of one as it does exactly what I like to do. I do my thing and go out in the boat fishing. (I have a lake home on Lake Livingston) Just wanted to let you know what happened to me. No hard feelings. That's all water over the dam.
            I realized after responding to the post it had long since died.
            I'm sure Charles would more then welcome help at the auction.

Comment

Working...
            X