Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tysons livebearer's thread - New pics up :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tysons livebearer's thread - cycling with fry

thanks sunny
    its getting there
    over the next few days. il start doing lots of water changes

cheers
    Tys
    Check out my aquarium journals
    - 100 gallon Livebearers community tank
    -10gallon fry tank

Comment

• ok guys
      Tanks around 2 3 weeks into cycling at least by now , water parameter is looking good , ive been using a old filter and old filter water rinsed into tank every few days or so and lots of feeding , with fry they are very safe and some new cats
      i have some pictures

DSC01654.jpgDSC01658.jpgDSC01666.jpgDSC01669.jpgDSC01670.jpgDSC01673.jpg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tys91; 02-23-2013, 12:06 AM.
      -10gallon fry tank

Comment

• Is that the veggie mix?
        You have done some great work.
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

• Looks like you feed your tank really well, you're making me feel a little guilty, hahah. I should blanch some veggies today.
          "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

• looking good tys I should feed my live bearers something other than flakes
            125g: Empty For Now
            90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
            Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

• Hey guys thanks for the kind comments . I try to feed my fish all but natural food. Although i do feed my guppies tetra colour granules but they do peck at the lettece i throw in there and what ever other veggies i put in there. I have found that feeding them this way brings out shiny and healthy looking fish. They seem to be all happy especially the catfish i have,when there is no food left there at the window running up and down like crazy and when i throw a vegetable in there they swim straight for it The person who raised the catfish was a homebreeder and only feed them vegetables and potatoes so they are super healthy (touch wood )

Sorry guys i didnt explain to you all about my recipe i put together and WOW do the fish love it , il go ahead now and explain to you all. This was my first attempt in making my home made vegie meal for my livebearers i stock atm (guppys} there still young at the moment being around 2months old and have been eating healthy since the word go. Ive always wanted to go for a nice natrual food and here is my recipe on my first attempt , il be posting up new recipes in the near future.

Iron Mike's frozen vegie recipe

What you will need?

-Blender,mixer
              -ice cube tray
              -water supply
              -freezer

Ok so whats the recipe ?

- Handful of lettuce
              -cucumber(average size)
              -Vitamin E capsule/tablet (3 is enough)
              -fish oil capsule/tablet (3 is enough)
              -water
              -hand full of peas
              -1 carrot
              -3 wild krill capusles

Then what ?

Ok guys so once you know what you need which isnt much really its a simple recipe.
              You then go ahead and throw it in your blender/mixer/crusher then you add water to the blender so it becomes liquid. You then get out your ice cube tray and once you think the blenders done turn it off and pour it into the ice cube tray and then throw it into the freezer. Depending how your freezer is this should usually take 3-6hours of good freezing. You will then get left off with vegetable cubes! Should be a nice green colour , you can then go ahead and break off a little bit depending on your fish sizes and how many , i used half a cube for my fry. It dissolves in a million pieces so id suggest to only use a bit of the cube , but dont freak out because if you have bottom feeders they will love it once they find it spread over the floor.

Here are some pictures , i didnt get a picture of the cubes finished because i was to exicted to try it and didnt get a shot but there in the freezer now in storage and il take a snap shot soon.

Thanks for your support guys this is a great forum,im learning heaps still being new to this scene i wanted to try a DIY recipe for my livebearers because i want to have healthy looking fish in my tank and to breed :) Follow my thread guys because things are yet to kick off ,tanks still ageing and im yet to finish my collecting ornaments and get a light so i can start my planting,so i can have some beautiful livebearer fish swimming around in the tank. I am to have a wide range of livebearer fish with lots of different colours , i will also be selective breeding them once my setup is complete. Untill then keep an eye out

Tys
              -10gallon fry tank

Comment

• Ok guys just a small update hope you guys are all well

tank is going great , still havent got my light on yet so untill then i wont have some plants.
                I have although added some more ornaments which i will be posting up pictures another time as my camera is down atm
                I went away for the w.e motorbike riding and camping i then come and have a look at my tank,i then noticed that there was a bristlenose baby, the more i looked the more i seen. Im pretty sure there is albino bristlenose babys aswell. My common defiantly had babies and i must have purchased this already pregnant.

This is very good news for me as i have a few extra guys to help clean the tank now lol :)

I will be getting some new livebearers this week they will be

-swordtail
                -molly
                -patty

I will be posting up pictures of the baby catfish,ornaments and new fish once camera is worked out and working again :)

Untill then

peace
                -10gallon fry tank

Comment

• Very cool and glad to hear they are already breeding for you!
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

• Definitely, congrats...it's always satisfying to start off with a bang, eh!?

And thanks for sharing your veggie recipe!
                    "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Re: Tysons livebearer's thread - Surprise! BRISTLENOSE HAD BABYS ?

Agree with mRoy and Sash. I too make food like you Tys, very cheap and I can control what my Petro Blue Giants eat.

Congrats on the breeding action!
                      http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

• Just to clarify. Plecos don't get pregnant. They are egg layers. The male will take care of the eggs until they hatch and the fry become freeswiming.

Your thread is very interesting and I really appreciate the recipe. I wonder if you could add gel to it and make it into a gel food that didn't spread all over the tank?
                        Guppies:
                        Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
                        Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
                        HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

• Originally posted by Fancyfish View Post
                          Your thread is very interesting and I really appreciate the recipe. I wonder if you could add gel to it and make it into a gel food that didn't spread all over the tank?
                          You can. This is what I was referring to in a few posts earlier. Just add plain flavor Jello or vegan jello to the mix and boil everything in a pot. Then pour into container, ice tray, etc. and allow to cool. You'll have something similar to rapashy foods where it's a gel like food.
                          Last edited by mistahoo; 03-03-2013, 05:55 AM.

Comment

• 20130303_160820.jpg

20130303_160830.jpg20130303_160850.jpg20130303_160859.jpg20130303_161001.jpg20130303_161006 (1).jpg20130303_160717.jpg20130303_160800.jpg20130303_161006 (1).jpg

Here are some pics guys , there not the best quality as my new camera is not yet configured and i have to use my mobile. I have added some slate and a few more rocks which i found in my backyard. I did clean them and soak them before addding to the tank infact they were spotless when picking them from the ground as the were used as bedding around plants and plenty of rain down here where i live kept them clean and insect free. There is no holes or anything in either rocks or slates so no access to insects is possible.

Thanks to all for the reply's. This is a big shock for me and surprise that to my understanding that they are egg-layers ( learning as im going) that they did in fact breed in my tank which is great given that i have had them for under 2 weeks :). Mistahoo i have kept that in my gel will defiantly be on my next food meal list i just wanted to share this recipe first as i intended this meal to dissolve but i will defiantly be making a gel type recipe shortly so keep posted

The babys are doing well , i did do a 20 percent water change and did rinse my pre filter (spongefilter) which is attached to my fluval 406 inlet in the tank which most of you guys may be familiar with.The tank is doing great i have been testing ph and ammonia frequently. It seems the tank settled pretty quick as i did add a old filter floss laying in there which you guys may have seen in pics. I beleive this helped cycle my tank quick i still am not sure that it has although completely finished as i only really seen it go up to 25ppm and its pretty controllable to get it down after a water change.

I hope you guys are enjoying my thread because as a begginer im pretty dam excited about creating a Livebearer colony. What you see now is only the start, a few young growing guppy,new tank,new ornaments and a few cats to help clean up. I will be adding new fish and a light so i can start my medium planting :) So keep an eye out

Enjoy
                            Last edited by tys91; 03-03-2013, 04:38 AM.
                            -10gallon fry tank

Comment

• Thanks for the pics and it sounds like it is not only a 'livebearer' colony, but a bristle nose colony as well, lol. I really like the scape and I would add some additional plants if it is possible. Really anything in bulk (Hornwort, anacharis, ect.) to help with birthing the guppies. The females are fairly notorious for eating their offspring if there is no where for them to hide away and grow out a bit. It also tends to grow smaller macro invert colonies the fry can feed on.
                              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                              Desiderius Erasmus
                              GHAC President

Comment

• Re: Tysons livebearer's thread - Surprise! BRISTLENOSE HAD BABYS ?

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                                Thanks for the pics and it sounds like it is not only a 'livebearer' colony, but a bristle nose colony as well, lol. I really like the scape and I would add some additional plants if it is possible. Really anything in bulk (Hornwort, anacharis, ect.) to help with birthing the guppies. The females are fairly notorious for eating their offspring if there is no where for them to hide away and grow out a bit. It also tends to grow smaller macro invert colonies the fry can feed on.
                                +1 hornwort is especially great for fry to hide in. Also the adults can feed on these smaller critters (infusoria, etc.)

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X