Noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob

Hello all, Cypress Texas here looking to get a cichlid tank started, we currently have a small 15/20 gallon tank with a few misc small fish. I am hoping to find at least a 40 gallon tank for cheap to get started. Once I get the tank setup I'll be back with questions as this seems like a good place to check.

What's up...Htown71 ? Welcome to the Box !!!

Comment

Re: Noob

Welcome to the box

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Ok been checking around but probably easier to ask....for folks familiar with the Cypress area where is a good place to find nice fish?

Comment

Here you are. A link to the LFS (local fish store) map that is on the site. Almost every member overlooks this because it's in the "Articles" section. It doesn't have all the stores in town, but majority of them and generally the good ones. There's not much that's great on the NW side of town. There's Ultimate Fish, but IMO there's better stores. It also depends on what you're looking for. There's stores geared towards Africans, South Americans, Saltwater, Freshwater, etc.

Link to LFS Map
          Last edited by mistahoo; 10-28-2012, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the box

Comment

Thanks for the map, that will help....Seems there are not as many small shops as there were when I was growing up.

Comment

There was a lot more. I'm sure of it because I remember a lot more when I was younger as well. Seems that most of them moved or went out of business. NW side just doesn't seem to be a place for fish stores. SW side, however, has tons of stores and all of them are great! My favorite by far is HAW (Houston Aquarium Warehouse) and Xtreme Fish N Pets.

Any kind of fish you're looking for in particular?

Comment

Just some general African cichlids to begin with

Comment

Ultimate Fish, Fish Ranch II, Xtreme Fish N Pets, Fish N Pets Unlimited, City Pets, Fish Gallery, and sometimes HAW will have Africans. Fish Gallery and Ultimate Fish prices are a bit inflated, but sometimes they have stock that nobody else carries. Xtreme is more of an Oddball/goldfish/koi store but they usually have Africans. Unlimited is the brother store of Xtreme, so he'll carry similar fish. Generally pond fish and a few oddballs. City Pets has a really good saltwater selection, but their freshwater is mainly dominated by pond fish, silver aros, and blood parrots. They'll have some good fish to pick from every now and then. Fish Gallery has a huge selection of fish from freshwater to saltwater and also a great selection of plants, but as mentioned, their prices can be a bit much. The owner of HAW (John, his username on here is MURRAY) is a great person to deal with. He's got a huge selection of South Americans along with a few Africans.

Comment

welcome to the Box!
                      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Hi htown71 you have come to the right place, :) the folks here are not only expert fishkeepers, but friendly and helpful as well. I know you will find everything you need to know about fishkeeping, as well as making some new fish keeping buddies. A 40 breeder is a great tank size for africans such as the shell dwellers,

Comment

Welcome to the box!
                          180g - 2 Red Oscars, 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 JD, Convicts, convicts & more convicts
                          75g - 1 Silver Aro, 1 Mean Koi Angel
                          50g - Various platy & mollies
                          10g - 1 Green Spotted Puffer

Comment

Welcome!
                            Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by htown71 View Post
                              Hello all, Cypress Texas here looking to get a cichlid tank started, we currently have a small 15/20 gallon tank with a few misc small fish. I am hoping to find at least a 40 gallon tank for cheap to get started. Once I get the tank setup I'll be back with questions as this seems like a good place to check.
                              google "tropheus"

Let the addiction begin.
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X