Thoughts on Cross-Country Moving & Aquariums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Cross-Country Moving & Aquariums

Well HFB I just accepted a position @ a lab in Denver, CO. So, obiviously I need to come up with something to do with my wet-pets. I plan on selling a lot, but some things I'd like to keep just because I've been so fortunate to acquire these specimens on HFB at prices much lower than retail/inernet. Two things I'm set on taking are: a couple troph colonies & my L134 pleco group.

First idea that comes to mind is: rent a couple tanks from LFS, and store my fish there until I have tanks ready in colorado. I was thinking I could fill a couple 5gal buckets with my filter media & run an airstone in an attempt to keep the BB alive. Is this just a hassle? Could I just use a product like seachem stabililty for a fast tank start up? Id like to keep the fish at the LFS no longer than 3, 4wks max, than have them shipped to me overnight.

This is an open discussion, so all posts with some useful input are greatly appreciated.
    30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Toss the fish in a big arse cooler and grab a ton of established media and run a large airstone or multiple airstones in it? Leave the fish at a LFS for a few weeks and take your media with you to set up a tank? Or you can do the buckets like you had planned if you don't have a way to transport a cooler.

Comment

Re: Thoughts on Cross-Country Moving & Aquariums

Id need a couple coolers. I'm wanting to take ~60 fish with me. Will they be okay for a 2-3 day drive to colorado in a cooler in late october? Right now its in the low 40s, easily drifting into the 30s tonight.

Comment

Congrats on the new job!!!! Hope all the fish moving works out alright and definitely keep in touch!!!
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
          Congrats on the new job!!!! Hope all the fish moving works out alright and definitely keep in touch!!!
          I'm still gonna post on HFB. Apparently I can keep species in Colorado, that can't be had in good ole tejas. Keep you guys drooling!

Comment

Power inverter and plug a heater in? Not sure if that'd work out though...

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Congrats. on the new Job...

The cooler idea is a good idea If you get a big enough inverter you can run a heater and a pump. the fish should be fine.
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

How many 3-4" fish can I safely put into a 60g cooler. Maybe 30 fish/cooler?

Also, I'm thinking it would be a bad idea to mix the plecs & trophs during the move. I've heard from SunnyHouTX that troph rip at pleco fins. Everyones already gonna be stressed. Could I put like ~40 (3-4") trophs into 1 cooler, or would it be better to split into smaller groups?

I'm thinking priority overnight shipping with heatpacks maybe the safest, least stressful way for the fish.

Comment

I would just leave the fish here with someone who can ship them to you at a later date. Too much hassle any other way.
                  210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
                  125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

You can bet that the PH levels will be different, the ammonia levels will be different. On top of a stressful three day trip, your fish will have too many shock factors.
                    210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
                    125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

I've seen 30+ trophs be transported in a 5g bucket but that was only a few hours. There will definitely be a lot of stress for the fish if you were to transport them with you. Now question is, who are you going to leave your fish with? That in itself is a risk.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                        Now question is, who are you going to leave your fish with? That in itself is a risk.
                        I've been in contact with Murray at HAW. He has a couple empty tanks I can rent for a few weeks.

I thought using a couple tanks at the LFS would be best, considering most hobbyists don't have room to store 60+ extra fish for short periods.

Comment

Good choice. I don't know if he's ever kept trophs before, but he sure does keep his tanks well maintained!

Comment

I agree... I have only been to HAW one time but love the place. The Owner (Murray on HFB ) is a great guy and a good business man.

If it wasn't so far away. I would go no where else...
                            Last edited by troy tucker; 10-13-2012, 03:20 PM.
                            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Indeed. John is good people. Too bad his location isn't a great spot for attracting more customers.

Comment

Working...
                              X