This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Freshwater Dwarf Shrimp

Here is a little article I have been working on, just a primer and trying to cover some of the basics so its easily available to beginners. I'll probably be adding on to it and editing it as I do. Anything that someone would like to add in would certainly be appreciated...

I thought this might be a good subject for a good article on the beginning basics of Shrimp care in the freshwater aquarium. It’s a subject often discussed and I am certainly no expert, but I’ll offer what I have picked up and tricks we shrimpers have learned. Everyone feel free to add to this or correct me if something sounds incorrect.

Basics –Most of the freshwater dwarf shrimp in the hobby are members of the Atyidae family. This comprises many families of loosely related invertebrates. I will try and list the commonly traded species and a small bit about them, including the variants found in the hobby should any exist.

Care –Shrimp are delicate animals and can be very sensitive to any shifting water parameters. As well, many have adapted to a specific environment in the wild and have a difficult time breeding and dwelling in systems that are different then their parameters originally. Higher inbreeding can amplify this sensitivity. The longer a tank is established the better it will be for your shrimp. Delicate species and difficult to feed species can require tanks that have been cycling for months just for these species. Occasionally someone might successfully keep them in newer systems, but this is a risk and one should know it before chancing it.

Breeding –There are 2 types of shrimp that most folk in this aspect refer to High Order and Low Order.

Low Order shrimp (like Amano and our local Ghost Shrimp – Palaeomontes spp.) have very copious offspring (100-300+) that hatch into a zoea (larval) stagethat has proven very difficult to rear in captivity. There has been many arguments that place a brackish water phase for these developing offspring.

High Order Shrimp (Neocaridina & Caridina spp.)have fewer offspring (5-25) but once these develop they hatch into perfect miniatures of the adult shrimp. They molt somewhat quickly if given adequate conditions and can be sexually active in 3-6 months. Note – many of these shrimp can crossbreed with each other and care should be taken to avoid mixing a tank with more than one family (i.e. Caridina and Neocaridina are alright, but blue fairy with cherries will result in the wild form of a muddy brown) As you enter the hobby you will hear words mentioned and thought I would define them for everyone.
    Saddle - a group of developing eggs in a female shrimp that appears above her tail in her lower back and looks like a saddle.
    Berried - A female that has fertilized eggs on her swimmerets under her tail that appear to look like berries.
    Shrimplet - a newly hatched shrimp

Feeding – Many feed primarily on aufwuchs or Biofilm, the microbial algaes and organisms that cover all the surfaces in an aquarium. This is one of the reasons for allowing a tank to mature for an extended period before introducing the shrimp. There are various products that add these on the market. There are also specialty foods for dwarf shrimp that they seem to favor. Many keepers simply feed them algae wafers and this has been shown to be effective. There are many debates on protein vs. vegetable matter in their care. I will leave this up to you to determine.

Medications and Concerns - Copper can be quie deadly to small invertabrates, so care must be made that it is avoided in any tank housing any invertebrates. I can say from personnal experiance that I have used Flourish by Seachem in my shrimp tanks and although it does have a trace of Copper, I myself have never seen any issues. Incecticides are deadly as well, I recommend covering the tanks and avoiding it if at all possible. We sprayed a roach spray across the living room and kitchen and it visibly distressed all the cherry shrimp and killed many of the more sensitive species. This was a distance of at least 35 feet and probbably more and was quite a small spray on the floor.

Species –specialized information on the various types in the hobby. Note:there are many species quickly emerging into the hobby and many do not have a scientific name or even a known natural habitat. These can be difficult to identify, but feel free to post and we will assist as best as we can.

800px-Red_Cherry_Shrimp_1.jpgyellowweggs.jpg
    Neocaridina heteropoda – (Cherry, Sakura, Yellow, Taiwan Fire, Red/Blue Rili, BlueVelvet/Fairy, Pumpkin, ect.) Probably the best beginner shrimp. These stay relatively small at 1” and prefer harder water. Our local tap is perfect for these guys. They breed quite easily and with no predators can quickly fill a tank. Any of the variants can and will breed with each other and the wild form is not sought after. Ph – 6.5 – 8.5 Temp – 60-80

800px-Neocaridina-cf-zhangjiajiensis-sp-white-pearl.jpg
    Neocaridina cf.zhangjiajiensis – (Snowball, Blue Pearl) another popular Neocaridina species and nearly identical in all regards to the aforementioned species. Ph – 6.5 – 8.5 Temp – 60-85

Baubalti.jpg
    Caridina cf.babaulti – (Blueberry, Black, Green, Rainbow, Malawi) – A very diverse shrimp that is similar in size and habit to the Cherry shrimp. They prefer similar water conditions and area very good choice as a secondary species that will not crossbreed with neos. They have quite a few common names in the hobby and some are quite confusing, but they look similar in body shape.Ph – 6.8 – 7.5 Temp – 60-85

CRS-2.jpgCBS.jpgOEBT.jpgtiger%20shrimp.jpg
    Caridina Cantonensis – (Crystal Red, CrystalBlack, Golden White, Red Ruby, King Kong, Tiger shrimp, Orange Eye Blue Tiger,Black Tiger Orange Eye, Super Tiger, ect.) – A more demanding shrimp in the hobby and one that was quite line bred to produce a myriad of morphs. They prefer soft water and care must be taken to watch TDS and Ph when keeping these. I have tried keeping these in hard water and although they will survive,I noticed no breeding activity. They areall highly colored and given the correct parameters they will thrive. Many recent additions are more inbred and become harder to keep. Ph – 5.0 – 7.5 Temp – 60-80 TDS –120ppm and under

165px-Caridina-multidentata-ingestion.jpg
    Caridina Multidentata – (Amanoshrimp, algae eating shrimp, Yamato Shrimp) – A Japanese marsh shrimp that is abit larger (2.5”) then their smaller cousins. Very effective at algae control in aquariums and can be kept with larger fish. Breeding is difficult as these exhibit a low order stage in their young. Many live 2-3 years and do well inany planted tank. Some hobbyists have seen aggressive sides to these fromeating small fish to eating other shrimp. I myself keep 6 in a 10 gallon with a vast breeding cherry shrimp colony with no issues, but you have been warned. Ph – 6.5 – 8.5 Temp – 70-82

800px-Caridina-dennerli.jpgBlueberry.jpgCrystal Poso.jpgsulawesi.jpg
    Caridina Dennerli – (SulawesiCardinal Shrimp and associated species) Very small and brightly colored shrimpfrom the Sulawesi region of Indonesia. They are from very old hard water lakes and are notoriously sensitive to their particular water parameters. Certainly not for the young shrimp keeper. These normally require a dedicated tank combined with the Tylomelania snails found in the same lake systems. There are literally hundreds of different species and each is specialized in the lake, so many are difficult to feed and wild caught individuals are very hard to keep. There are a few keepers in Houston and they can guide you on setup andcare to these delicate shrimp. Ph – 7.8 – 8.5 Temp – 80-82
    I will try and list many of the known species from this region in another thread.

800px-Caridina_gracilirostris.jpg
    Caridina Gracilorostrus – (Red-Nosed,Darwin, Rhino, Rudolph shrimp) – A speciesfrom India that appears to be a brackish species. I have never seen these in Houston, but many places online offer them. They are a normally sized species that apparently has better photos then the actual shrimp. I would look forward to hearing from any local keepers on their captive care. Ph – 6.5 – 7.5 Temp – 72-80

Ninja Shrimp.jpg
    Caridina serratirostris – (Ninja Shrimp) – A species similar to the Baubaltis inappearance. . I would look forward to hearing from any local keepers on their captive care. Ph – 6.5 – 7.5 Temp – 72-80

Caridina_thambipillai.jpg
    Caridina thambipillai- (Orange, Sunkist shrimp) – known as Propinqua until recentlyrenamed. Another brackish water inhabitant that can survive well in freshwater. Breeding is difficult and often not successfully done in home aqauriums.Ph – 6.4 – 7.6 Temp – 72-80

800px-Atya_gabonensis.jpg
    Atya gabonensis - (vampire shrimp, Cameroon Fan Shrimp) – An African filter feeder with highly adapted frontfeeding legs adapted to capture small microorganisms from the moving water column. Larger than other dwarf shrimp (2-4”) they can be used with larger fish and companions. A properly aged aquarium innecessary for the care of this species. Feeding finely ground micronic food can help as well as some saltwater plankton like foods. Many larger tanks can accommodate them, but smaller tanks eventually run out of food they seek and eventually they starve. Thought to be a low order breeding shrimp. Ph – 6.5 – 7.4Temp – 74-84

800px-Bambooshrimpdriftwd.jpgspinepes.jpg
    Atya Spinipes and Atyopsis Moluccensis (Bamboo, Fan shrimp) Very similar to the Atya species previously mentioned. They are from Southeast Asia and are another specialized filter feeder. Often seen collecting/feeding at high water movement areas ofthe tank. Can be a wonderful species if care is taken to provide them with appropriate food and a mature aquarium. Thought to be a low order breeding shrimp. Two species are available and only vary slightly in appearance. Ph – 6.5 – 7.5 Temp – 72-84

Green Lace Shrimp.jpg
    Atyoida pillipes (Green Lace Shrimp) This shrimp appears like an Amano that has small fan appendages like the Bamboo shrimp. All indicators suggest it is a low order breeder and care should be similar to the other fan shrimp. Ph – 6.5 – 7.5 Temp – 72-84

Opae Ula.jpg
    Halocaridina rubra– ( Hawaiian Fire Shrimp, Opae Ula) – A brackish/estuarine species from Hawaii that is a high order breeder and quite prolific in smaller nano tanks. Verysmall species, but occasionally kept and often seen in many small enclosed spheres for sale. I have never kept these, but a few folks have had them and they are available online. Ph – 8.2 – 8.4 Temp – 65-85 Specific Gravity - 1.0125 to 1.015

ghostShrimp3.jpg
    Palaemonetes paludosus – (Ghost, Glass shrimp) – A native shrimp that can be found in freshand slightly brackish environs. A very good scavenger, they are a bit larger thanthe Caridina types above. A low order shrimp, they can be difficult to breed inthe home aquarium, but find any ditch perfectly acceptable. Another good beginner species as they are very numerous and easily caught. Some do exhibit brighter colorings of metallic reds and blues in tiny patches. Have been known to predate upon small fish and shrimplets, but I have kept them without incident in my cherry breeding tanks. Ph – 6.5 – 8.5 Temp – 60-80

800px-Palaemon_serratus.jpg
    Palaemon pantanal - (Brazilian Yellow Bellied Shrimp) - An Amazonian native that appears to be a more colorful version of our native Ghost shrimp. Very little is known about them and I would love to hear of anyone locally keeping these.

Red Claw Macro.jpgrosenberggi.jpg
    Macrobranchium spp (Long arm, red claw, prawns) – Larger more aggressive family that comprise hundreds of species. The red claw is the most appropriate that I have seen locally and they seem to do well in our local tap water conditions. Most others are very large and can not be considered safe with even similarly sized fish.They are far more akin to crawfish in temperament. Ph – 6.5 – 8.5 Temp – 70-80
    Last edited by mnemenoi; 09-19-2012, 04:10 PM. Reason: Adding Pictures
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Re: Keeping Freshwater Dwarf Shrimp

Very well written! I made it a sticky . . . hope that is okay.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Thanks!! and I'll keep working on it. For some reason it got a bit discombobulated when I transferred it from MS Word...
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

let me know if you need info about red claws
        Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Feel free to PM me with anything you would like to add or expand upon for someone who might be interested in them. I'll be happy to edit it in and credit you with the info.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

Anyone that has some experiance with anything I missed or would like to see something added, please PM me and I'll be happy to add it in and credit you with it.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

i have had problems with the formatting sticking when i pasted from word too. good job on this, pics next to the species description at some future date would be cool too! i wonder if the ninja shrimp looks simialir to a black bee? i have seen a black bee looking shrimp supposedly from sulawasi and am curious about it.
              75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
              28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
              12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
              29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
              45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
              33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

In my opinion the Ninja shrimp look very similar to the Baubalti, their rostrum is a bit more elaborate though I only notice that in macro shots and not in the actual shrimp...

I'll see about adding in some pics when I get a chance...
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Thanks for this post.

Edit: I have not been in this hobby for long, but my wife wanted shrimp so we got two "algae shrimp" from the LFS (which turned out to be amano shrimp) ... they are incredible. They are absolutely fascinating to watch. I had no idea how enjoyable they would be!
                  Last edited by Parzival; 09-18-2012, 06:49 PM.
                  I went off the deep end

Comment

Excellent Article. I would humbly suggest adding few pictures so that beginners can get a feel how beautiful shrimps can be (i had no idea till couple of weeks back) and may be bolding section starts.
                    ------------------------------------------------------------
                    RG

90 G Freshwater
                    17 Tetra
                    1 Kenyi Cichlid
                    9 Harlequin Rasbora
                    1 Neon Rainbow Fish
                    2 Dwarf Gourami
                    1 Dalmation Molly

Comment

+1 on the pictures. this is awesome! i've been toying with the idea of shrimp and I know this will help me.
                      Guppies:
                      Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
                      Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
                      HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Fancyfish View Post
                        +1 on the pictures. this is awesome! i've been toying with the idea of shrimp and I know this will help me.
                        +1

I'm looking to get into the whole shrimp thing eventually and this has already helped me grasp a lot of concepts.

Comment

Added pics and info, more to come and will try and develop one for the Sulawesi shrimp.
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                            Added pics and info, more to come and will try and develop one for the Sulawesi shrimp.
                            Very nice! Thanks for taking the time to make this great thread!

Comment

Great post very good info and pictures to associate them with.

Comment

Working...
                              X