No announcement yet.

5g Fluval Chi Nano (Updated 06.26.13)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pseudomugil gertrudae get up to 1.5" and like schools of 5+. I have two in my edge and they do ok but sometimes get aggressive toward each other, especially when they're hungry. I'm tempted to move them into something bigger and get a few more of them.

There is a green microrasbora that ADG used recently in a planted tank. If you're interested I'll find the name. They looked pretty sharp.
    I went off the deep end

Comment

Microrasbora Kubotai

kubotai.jpg
      I went off the deep end

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
        Cool deal, well I will hit you up when I get in and see about getting together. I think I will be having a local collection trip on the last weekend of September or the first weekend of October with Jozle and Texsun.
        Collecting? Like native collecting?

Comment

Originally posted by Parzival View Post
          pseudomugil gertrudae get up to 1.5" and like schools of 5+. I have two in my edge and they do ok but sometimes get aggressive toward each other, especially when they're hungry. I'm tempted to move them into something bigger and get a few more of them.

There is a green microrasbora that ADG used recently in a planted tank. If you're interested I'll find the name. They looked pretty sharp.
          That sucks... So a school of them won't work?

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
            That sucks... So a school of them won't work?
            The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Go for it. They have lots of personality and won't hide in the plants. I'd get more for my Edge but I'm worried about the bio load.
            I went off the deep end

Comment

Cool beans. I'm possibly going with the Zoo Med idea or the 2211. Leaning more to the 2211 though. That'd be plenty of filtration for the bioload. Still not 100% sure I'm gonna go with the gertrudaes though.

Comment

Mark, I finally got a chance to take a look at those fish with better quality. Really loving the Black Pearl Killifish. Also like the Striped Panchex and Bluefin Notho. I'll ask the boss tomorrow about them. Hopefully she'll go with the Black Pearls or the Gertrudes since I'm really favoring those two right now. Thanks for the recommendations!

Comment

Originally posted by Parzival View Post
                  Microrasbora Kubotai

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14731[/ATTACH]
                  It looks nice! It looks green though? Is it?

Comment

Updated possible candidates for livestock:

-pseudomugil gertrudae *
                    -some sort of lampeye
                    -Oryzias woworae *
                    -Striped Panchex
                    -Black Pearl Killifish *
                    -Bluefin Notho
                    -Microrasbora Kubotai

* - Favoring these. All depends on Master Chief

Comment

I've gotten some good recommendations and info about livestock, filtration, and lighting. How about rocks and driftwood? Could I add both, or should I pick one or the other? Debating if I should add them or not because of the limited space I'm working with. If I can, I'm thinking of maybe a few small pieces (2-4) of seiryu, black star, or ohko stones and possibly some driftwood (1-3)?

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                        I actually was looking for some cool neos in the future so I'd be up for jumping aboard a group buy in the future (month or so) and would love to spliit the shipping...

Cool! I'll just wait a month or so to order some then.

Totenkampf is actually selling his Zoo med used on here, but a 2211 would work as well. It all depends on what brands you like really.

I like Eheim brands, but I'm open to anything that will over-filtrate the tank. I just looked at it. I'm still trying to decide on livestock and then determine if the Zoo Med would be enough to handle the bio load and then some.

The clippings depend on what your talking about. Some plants produce runners (Cryptocornes, swords), some develop pups (Red Lotus), and most stems you just break and they will develop roots (Ludwigia, Rotala, Hygro). Others are epyphytic and dislike their roots being in anything like Anubias, Java fern, and mosses. Those we either jam into driftwood ot tie it with cotton string until it attaches itself.

Sorry, I'm clueless as to what runners and pups are. If I were to leave any plant in a jar just floating, do I need to put a lid on, or just leave it? Should I leave the jar in sunlight?
                        More questions/comments that came across my mind thinking about what you said.

Comment

Native collection trip indeed. I'll make certain and post up more details as it gets closer.

I use rocks and driftwood in most of my nanos. It is all about being crazy particular about size and look. Manzanita looks great and some of the little Manzanita trees are great looking when covered with moss.

Yeah, a 2211 would certainly overfilter and then some. I see a lot of folk use them as well on their smaller nanos. Maybe using some clear tubing and lily pies...lol

Runners are like the grass in your yard, small plants along a line. Pups are smaller plants produced next to the adult plant. No lid is required and I'd place it in a window that gets early morning sun and just keep it covered with water. If it gets bleached out or starts acting up, try a different window or move it a bit further away. Many color up terrifically that way.

I am always surprised at exactly what plants do well in exactly which tanks. Some hate certain tanks and thrive in others for no apparently good reason. Some decide to flower, some grow so quickly we have to trim them every 2 weeks. Others grow slow and I have never had to trim. They can get just as addictive as fish once you get hooked on them.

Once we can get you over to our place we can show and explain a lot of different styles and techniques that have worked for us and ones that have not. We are up to 6 planted nano tanks and they have a broad range of differing plants/livestock/layouts.
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

Bob's Tropical Plants is a terrific site for nano stuff and a terrific selection of Manzanita Nano trees

Just one of the online folk I have used and been wonderfully pleased with his service and stock
                            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                            Desiderius Erasmus
                            GHAC President

Comment

Re: Low cost, Low maintenance Nano ideas?

That makes so much more sense! Thanks! Looking forward to checking out the tanks. I'll check out the site in a bit.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

there is a microsword that does okay in less than ideal light (lileopsis mauritiana) but its harder to find. idk if LEDs in the inexpensive nano fixtures will support them though. green leaf aquariums often has it in pots so you get a good amount of it.

try crypt wilissi 'lucens' for a nano ground cover. it wont spread fast but if you buy it in pots you will get tons of individual plants to split apart and spread out. you could use a larger crypt wendtii 'bronze' as a contrasting specimen plant

for low maintenance, i like the powder blue dwarf gourami as well. there as some stunning killifish that work in smaller aquaria but they can be picky on water quality. i seem to recall a blue dwarf pencilfish too but again, i think the prefer soft water and are picky about it. a couple female betta might work well together too.
                                75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                                28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                                12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                                29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                                45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                                33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Working...
                                X