Filter for 125 gallon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter for 125 gallon

I have a new 125 gallon that I am in the process of setting up. I have a wet/dry. It came with a Whisper 30-60 but I don't know anything about it. I think I need a better one but I do not know much about the different filters that are out there. What will be an adequate filter for it that is not too expensive and not difficult to maintain. Not looking to purchase an fx5 right now unless it is way cheaper than normal. less than $100 for sure is what I'm looking to spend. Should I go with a canister or hob? I have never dealt with canisters before.
    125G: Mikula Frontosas
    75G: Mbuna Cichlids, Jack Dempsey

What kind of fish and how many?
    Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Kelli View Post
      I have a new 125 gallon that I am in the process of setting up. I have a wet/dry. It came with a Whisper 30-60 but I don't know anything about it. I think I need a better one but I do not know much about the different filters that are out there. What will be an adequate filter for it that is not too expensive and not difficult to maintain. Not looking to purchase an fx5 right now unless it is way cheaper than normal. less than $100 for sure is what I'm looking to spend. Should I go with a canister or hob? I have never dealt with canisters before.
      You will need at least an Eheim 2217 (canister filter) and/or 2 Aquaclear 110 (HOB filter) to move that much water. That Whisper 30/60 is not going to cut it. Check with beto he had a 2217 w/disconnects and media for $75. Good luck with your setup.
      !!!Live for today and not for tomorrow.!!!

Comment

I hope to end up with 6 fronts and some various others like comps, leleupi, julis, etc not sure how many I will end up with. I will start with around 12-13 frontosa fry and weed out the males every six months.
        125G: Mikula Frontosas
        75G: Mbuna Cichlids, Jack Dempsey

Comment

maybe 2 Eheim 2217s or a 2260 if you can find one cheap
          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

I'm runnnig 2x 2217's and a Aquaclear 110 on my 125. It has 8 frontosa's and 9 clown loaches.

Comment

The wet/dry you have. Is it all there? if it is its the best way to go. IMO. If you not sure if you have everything it need to run take pictures of whats there and post them. We can tell you if it will work or not. If it wont work then you will need a better filter.
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

So long as u get a filter thats rated for a 100or larger tank and do regular water changes you should be ok. But it never hurts to twice or even three times the suggested filtration for a tank. For these guys straight tap w prime is just fine. Their a hard water fish
                5 gal baby hecqui grow out
                7 gal baby compressicps
                14 bio cube fry tank, multies-orange leleupi-telmatochromis
                4 tank rack- 30 cubes. Shellies, mulities-brevis-telmatochromis-caudopunctaus
                100 gal mixed community tank
                125 Tropheus black bembas

Tanngankia cichlids what else

Comment

I would suggest a 2262. I had 3 on my 330 and the water was perfect

Comment

Working...
                  X