Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job! I eat my words.

Comment

Great job, that looks tight. I have a feeling this will be a sick tank once its up and running. I love the build pics, we always forget when we are doing it...
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by ssrprelude View Post
        Great job! I eat my words.
        Would you like some katsu sauce it make it easier to swallow... lol

It's all good
        Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
          Great job, that looks tight. I have a feeling this will be a sick tank once its up and running. I love the build pics, we always forget when we are doing it...
          I am taking my time with this one no impulses like my other tanks lol and my wife reminding me to take pictures.
          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by sunkenmetal View Post

It's all good
            Nah I don't need anything. That guide sure helped out tho.

Comment

Originally posted by sunkenmetal View Post

It's all good

Comment

Originally posted by ssrprelude View Post

The guide is nice to have. Once the hole saw was deep enough I took it off so I could see what was going on and get more water flowing in there...
                Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Nice job man.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                  28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

sweet. i would not have tried that without seeing this walk through. the saw guide looks like it makes all the difference in the world. so you used high speed and low pressure? just let the weight of the drill motor push it through or a little more? thats going to be totally cool with no hardware going up over the lip of the tank.
                    75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                    28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                    12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                    29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                    45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                    33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
                      sweet. i would not have tried that without seeing this walk through. the saw guide looks like it makes all the difference in the world. so you used high speed and low pressure? just let the weight of the drill motor push it through or a little more? thats going to be totally cool with no hardware going up over the lip of the tank.
                      I used low speed and no pressure. My drill motor is pretty heavy and let the saw do the work. I could tell when the saw was turning to fast I would get a nasty harmonic going lol. I set the drill to low speed set the clutch to its lowest setting. Used a garden hose to keep everything cool and clean.

The tricky part is when you start to get through the other side....
                      Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

do you think that it would have helped to score the other side of the hole with the cutter first and then go all the way through with the cutter on the outside or would it be too hard to match the exact cut? i have used this technique when cutting holes through thick acrylic or lexan windows in equipment housings.

GHAC Member

Comment

do you think that it would have helped to score the other side of the hole with the cutter first and then go all the way through with the cutter on the outside or would it be too hard to match the exact cut? i have used this technique when cutting holes through thick acrylic or lexan windows in equipment housings.
                          I wouldn't attempt do score the other side by hand. A huge risk you will not have the holes lined up then it will bind and shatter the glass.

Even if you did it on a knee mill and indicated the hole location in it would be hard since these tanks are not truly square.

You could do it if you made a smaller hole and had a guide in the center of the hole saw to line it all up. But I am not sure about step drilling class.
                          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

ah gotcha, the tool that you used isnt a holesaw with a guide drill but a type of step drill? if you get a chance to post a pic of the cutting face of the tool then i would appreciate that.

no then , i wouldnt try to score it either without a guide drill.

GHAC Member

Comment

ah gotcha, the tool that you used isnt a holesaw with a guide drill but a type of step drill? if you get a chance to post a pic of the cutting face of the tool then i would appreciate that.

no then , i wouldnt try to score it either without a guide drill.
                              The shank is hollow so you cold make a guide...
                              Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Bulkheads and Valves

Just finished installing the bulkheads and valves.

First thing made sure I had all the tools I needed. All the parts I needed dry fit everything together to make sure everything would fit.

Cut some PVC pipe and glued the valves to them....

Next I lubed up the gaskets with some o-ring lube and installed the bulkheads. Tightened them as much as I could with my fingers. Then used a pair of channel locks to tighten them another 1/8 turn.

Time to glue the valves to the bulkheads. Got them all cemented in and let them set for a half hour.

Time for water....

No leaks from the bulkheads or pipe and valves
                                Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X