Starting Community Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Community Tank

So I have been holding out to set up a puffer tank but right now i don't exactly have the time and money to put full effort into trying new fish. I cannot stand the sad sight of an empty tank so i am going back to what i know. What is a good balanced combination (species, gender, how many, etc.) of livebearers/community fish to have in a 30gal aquarium?

Thank yas!
    just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

Puffers are doable in a 30 gallon, either dwarfs or Irrebesco's would be terrific in a planted 30. If your dead set on livebearers, I'd say that nearly the sky is the limit. What type/difficulty level are you trying for? Low end would be guppies/endlers, moving through platies/variatus/swordtails all the way up to the treasure trove of endangered or exctinct livebearers that are harder to find, but far more rewarding to keep and breed. It really depends on what you'd like to do. There is also the option of doing some livebearing halfbeaks, they are a bit trickier, but not as prolific and far less common.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Very cool site with endangered/exctinct livebearer species for sale
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

We have 2 fig.8 puffers in a 20g tank thay are easy to take care of and lots of fun.
        But if you are ever in this area I will give you two angel for that tank. sorry they are not live breeders...
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I am not completely "dead set" on livebearers. i guess it is mostly impatience lol. I have been waiting to find dwarfs for a few months now. I love the figure 8s but am not entirely sure how much of a hassle it would be to manage brackish. And i fell in love with the irrebescos when i was researching but i havn't been able to find any. Urgh.

Comment

I wouldn't mind that angles are not livebearers. i am just new to the hobby (have mostly only delt with fish bowls before lol). Mollies, Platies, and guppies are just the only fish i have had other than bettas so those were the first that came to mind

Comment

Originally posted by foreverconfused View Post
              I am not completely "dead set" on livebearers. i guess it is mostly impatience lol. I have been waiting to find dwarfs for a few months now. I love the figure 8s but am not entirely sure how much of a hassle it would be to manage brackish. And i fell in love with the irrebescos when i was researching but i havn't been able to find any. Urgh.
              Fish Gallery has a pair of Irrebescos currently for sale (call and double check) and Fish Ranch 2 has a ton of dwarf puffers. You should easily be able to get a trio or harem for your tank...
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

just get whatever you like and dwarf the fish to fit in the tank. It'll stop growing and then you just have to do good water changes and feed a good diet and you'll be fine.

I've done so successfully and have personal experience to prove there isn't much problem doing so.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Don't forget to get some ottos...
                  Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                    Fish Gallery has a pair of Irrebescos currently for sale (call and double check) and Fish Ranch 2 has a ton of dwarf puffers. You should easily be able to get a trio or harem for your tank...
                    About how much would irrebescos sell for?

Comment

Originally posted by sunkenmetal View Post
                      Don't forget to get some ottos...
                      What are the pros and cons of ottos compared to plecos?

Comment

About how much would irrebescos sell for?
                        I'm really not certain. Just call and they'll let you know the price. They vary widely on the market and FG has very good stock. Occasionally I see them on aquabid, but with shipping you'll be far better off getting them locally... FG should be able to order you some if they are out
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

They are cool little fish.
                          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

They don't get as lazy and for their size they get a lot done in comparison
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

They are cheap
                              Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X