Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to fix our driveway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to fix our driveway?

One of the large sections of our driveway has sunken, and our homeowner's association is on our tail to fix it, but I don't know who to call or what's even the best way to go about fixing it. The driveway sunk just before our garage, probably about 6" or more.

Should I hire someone to bust it out and replace it? Or is it possible to put more concrete on top? And who do I call for either job? I'm terrible at finding contractors out of the yellow pages.
    Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
    • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
    • 29g Planted - Journal
    • 29g Planted
    • 5g Planted RCS

Bust it out and redo it. Probably need to add sand at bottom of the slab, then concrete on top.

Comment

I have heard of a company that fixes drive ways with out destroying the driveway... I will see if I can track them down for you

Comment

i would place new concrete on top. but thats just me.
        75g Tank,
        2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
        2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
        10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
        10g Tank
        Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

Pouring concrete over existing is not a good idea . Is your driveway cracked or just sunk ? If not cracked it can be leveled by digging under it jacking up the slab and filling in the void with concrete .
          Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by HERM View Post
            Pouring concrete over existing is not a good idea . Is your driveway cracked or just sunk ? If not cracked it can be leveled by digging under it jacking up the slab and filling in the void with concrete .
            +1. pouring over the top is like buying 100 otos for an algae outbreak...you have to fix the problem or it may just keep collapsing
            75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
            28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
            12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
            29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
            45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
            33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

ofcorse not. you have to pound the existing concrete to make it rougth so the new concrete can stick to the old.
              75g Tank,
              2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
              2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
              10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
              10g Tank
              Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

What?
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by Complexity View Post
                  One of the large sections of our driveway has sunken, and our homeowner's association is on our tail to fix it, but I don't know who to call or what's even the best way to go about fixing it. The driveway sunk just before our garage, probably about 6" or more.

Should I hire someone to bust it out and replace it? Or is it possible to put more concrete on top? And who do I call for either job? I'm terrible at finding contractors out of the yellow pages.
                  Southern Concrete Raising Inc

Comment

It's just sunk. It sank years ago, around the first year after the house was built. It cracked off a small corner right at the garage, but that's small enough to be replaced easily enough. I suspect it was built over where a tree had been removed, and it sank as the roots decayed (just my speculation). It stopped sinking long ago. So the slab that's there is stable now, but the end close to the garage is sunken in.

What I'm looking for are two main things:

1. What will last forever. We have no plans on selling the house so if we slap in something that won't last, we'll be the ones cleaning up the mess and repairing it. So it's best we do whatever is necessary to do it right the first time.

2. Whatever is cost effective. I'd rather not spend a fortune on this if it can be avoided. I have no idea how much money any of this might cost, but I imagine it's not going to be cheap.

I know you can't just pour concrete over concrete because the new layer will just break up, but there's also some kind of technique that's used for refinishing concrete in which a new layer is put on top of an existing layer. I just don't know if that could be applicable to what we're dealing with or if that would be less expensive than other methods.

Who would I call about having someone see if they can lift the driveway and fill the void? I don't even know what to search for.
                    Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                    • 29g Planted
                    • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Originally posted by Suelovesfish View Post
                      Southern Concrete Raising Inc
                      Thank you! I'll give them a call. Have you ever used them or know anyone who's used them?
                      Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                      • 29g Planted
                      • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Get at least two quotes:

Southern Concrete Raising and Lone Star Concrete Raising.

With the summer drought, driveways and sidewalks tended to subside compared to house slabs. These Co's may be your best bet?

Comment

Originally posted by Suelovesfish View Post
                          Get at least two quotes:

Southern Concrete Raising and Lone Star Concrete Raising.

With the summer drought, driveways and sidewalks tended to subside compared to house slabs. These Co's may be your best bet?
                          Fantastic! Thank you so much! I just called Southern Concrete Raising, and I'll call the other one now. This is perfect for what I want done, and it's not as expensive as replacing it. Thank you so much for the suggestions!
                          Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                          • 29g Planted
                          • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

This my be covered in your home warrety , I would look threw your contract . Its worth a shot
                            Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Good suggestion, but I know it's not covered. Not only was the driveway specifically not covered, but the house is too old. We bought it in Dec 1993 so it's almost 20 years old now.
                              Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                              • 29g Planted
                              • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Working...
                              X