is this algae on my filter pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this algae on my filter pads

i've had this flival 405 for about 2 years, and have never seen anything green on the filter pads before, and if it is algae I thought it needed light. If it aint algae what is it?

Yes its algae. Its a type that grows in no light. There is nothing wrong with it

Comment

Does it have a slimy texture?
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

not really

Comment

I would say more of a bacteria.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It could be pulling it from the water column, has there been any shifts recently in the tanks photo period, feeding routine, or water changes? High Nitrates can cause blooms and its just collecting in the coarse filter pads.
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

other than i started doing 2 water changes a week since the previous filter cleaning cycle. also the funny thing is, there is no sign of that stuff in the 2217 that i also have on the tank.

we'll see what happens next month when i clean the filters. i'll probably use spend the 15 bucks and change out the pads

Comment

It looks a bit like cyanobacteria. If I were you, I'd just keep an eye on it. That stuff likes to spread pretty darn quickly.
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

i have never heard of a plant, even lower forms like algae, that dont require light for photosynthesis so i doubt its algae growing there. if it were in your water column then it would be present in both filters. i thought cyanobacteria needs light to photosynthesize too but i do recall that there are different types (some convert oxygen and some convert nitrogen) so maybe this type doesnt. Since you have two filters on the aquarium maybe it is best to sterilize that filter pad asap.
                  75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                  28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                  12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                  29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                  45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                  33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

yup i thinks its cyanobacteria, guess i'll increase the water changes for a few weeks. Guess thats what happens when you overstock and overfeed.

Comment

Working...
                    X