Brightwell Escuro - Soil Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brightwell Escuro - Soil Testing

First of all I just want to thank Stephen for hooking it up with a tank! After I cleaned it, it looks freaking new!

I just picked up this new soil call Brightwell Escuro which was the black substrate. They also carry the brown color which called Brightwell Cafe. The color of the Escuro is freaking amazing even made eklikewhoa say WHOA!. As of now they come in 3 different sizes extra fine(1mm), fine (3mm), and medium (5mm).

In this case I went with the fine since I'm going to use it for shrimp and the grain is just a tad bigger then ADA aquasoil powder. I'll have the close up picture of the grain later today

After the foundation was done, the biggest bag filled about 2.75 in a 24x12 footprint.

eklikewhoa push me into using the seiryu rocks which I didn't have much to choose from and this I came up with.

It only took me 5 hours to fill up this tank with RO/DI water since my tap water is bad to CRS specs.

Tap Water
    PH- 7.9
    TDS - 280
    GH - Off the chart 20+????
    KH - 16

I'll test the water again today after work to see how it's doing.
    ADA 90H Large Cube Garden - Under Construction (waiting for ADG to have Aqua Soil)
    Crypt Nurrii, Blyxa Jap, Blyxa Aubertii, HC, Micro Sword, HM, Hydro Verticillata, Telanthera, Hydro Sibthoripiodies, more to come.

26G High - Baller Ebi Tank - CRS and Otto Cat
    HM, Hydro Verticillata, Limnobium Spongia (Frogbit), Azolla, Pistia Stratiotes (Water Lettuce)

5G - Emmerse Tank -
    HC, HM, Hydro Sibthoripiodies,

Cool! Looking foward to seeing this progress. Are those mosura products in the 3rd pic? Which ones are you using?
    30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

Does that stuff leach ammonia like Aquasoil? If it does, filling it with RO right off the bat would be a waste of time to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ssrprelude View Post
        Does that stuff leach ammonia like Aquasoil? If it does, filling it with RO right off the bat would be a waste of time to me.
        I had wondered the same myself. I have read that with aquasoil you have to do some insane water changes initially to offset the ammonia spikes and then start a calmer water change schedule. I have seen a few other Ph reducing soils that were a bit calmer at first, but have also read that they diminish in reducing capacity far more quickly...
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by TexSun View Post
          Cool! Looking foward to seeing this progress. Are those mosura products in the 3rd pic? Which ones are you using?
          Yea, using BT-9 and Old Sea Mud

Originally posted by ssrprelude View Post
          Since this soil is new to the market and there is very little information about it so I went ahead and did RO just in case it didn't.

After 5 hours of filling the tank with RO the water was still crystal clear.
          ADA 90H Large Cube Garden - Under Construction (waiting for ADG to have Aqua Soil)
          Crypt Nurrii, Blyxa Jap, Blyxa Aubertii, HC, Micro Sword, HM, Hydro Verticillata, Telanthera, Hydro Sibthoripiodies, more to come.

HM, Hydro Verticillata, Limnobium Spongia (Frogbit), Azolla, Pistia Stratiotes (Water Lettuce)

5G - Emmerse Tank -

Comment

I see, inserested to know how this stuff reacts. Keep us posted.

Comment

So you filled with ro/di water with a TDS reading of.................280??!!??
              It was better as mention before me to use tap water cause you want to crash your tank a bit and than let it cycle about 3/4 weeks before you start doing WC with ro/di. I your case I would check your ro/di system cause even with a dirty filter you TDS should be around 50 or so. My ro/di pushes out 0.0, just saying.
              Other than that nice substate and the scape looks sharp too. What kind of plants you gonna use?
              3 site starphire 202 gallon, 72"x27"24" reef/SPS tank, powered by ECOtech and fueled by Acro Power aka Coral Crack!

Exercise Daily.................Walk with the Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by bikeguru View Post
                It was better as mention before me to use tap water cause you want to crash your tank a bit and than let it cycle about 3/4 weeks before you start doing WC with ro/di. I your case I would check your ro/di system cause even with a dirty filter you TDS should be around 50 or so. My ro/di pushes out 0.0, just saying.
                Other than that nice substate and the scape looks sharp too. What kind of plants you gonna use?

I think he meant after the water was filled into the tank the soils release along with the Mosura products he uses brought it up to a TDS of 280.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I took that as being a measure of his regular tap water? RO/DI wouldnt have hardness like that would it?
                  75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                  28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                  12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                  29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                  45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                  33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Pretty stoked about this substrate, the color and form by far exceeds ADA Amazonia and if it's anything like the rest of the Brightwell line up it's gonna grow plants like magic!
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I posted my tap water parameter. As of now only thing I have in there is HC that I'm trouble growing atm. I am looking for hard growing plants to see how well the soil work.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

5G - Emmerse Tank -

Comment

I appreciate the parameters and efforts in diagnosing how this soil works out, if you want to grab some tough plants your welcome to some of ours. Not anything really ballin, but most grow in fairly rapidly...
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

OH, gotcha!
                          Trow some cheap fish food in there and let it cycle.
                          Your shrimp will be thankful, after you introduce some in 5/6 weeks.

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                          I think he meant after the water was filled into the tank the soils release along with the Mosura products he uses brought it up to a TDS of 280.
                          3 site starphire 202 gallon, 72"x27"24" reef/SPS tank, powered by ECOtech and fueled by Acro Power aka Coral Crack!

Exercise Daily.................Walk with the Lord!

Comment

I am curious as to what the soil would have done to your tap water parameters?
                            150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
                            125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
                            115G Tanganyikan

Comment

Originally posted by algarciajr View Post
                              I am curious as to what the soil would have done to your tap water parameters?
                              Ek suggested me I should do my 90H planted with the same substrate. I'm already in a group buy for ADA soil so I can't back out. The soil in my opinion is kinda expensive but if it is magic soil then $$ < $$$ invested.

5G - Emmerse Tank -

Comment

Working...
                              X