telmatochromis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• telmatochromis

Just wanted to try and gain some info from you guys since I know Rob is hoarding some.

I've gotten the loner from Rob and now added 6 more I got from Dave and it seems like only the initial one and the largest new one comes out of hiding. The rest stay hidden behind the filter intakes and are scared to even eat. I know they're new to the tank but maybe yalls are exhitbiting different behaviors.

There is very little real world info on these online but it was made to seem that they are shelldwellers and peaceful amongst themselves but in my 6ft 180g I have two small rockpiles and what seems to be a single dominant amongst the two piles. There's a few neothauma shells in the tank between the rockpiles but they don't seem to care for it.

Would be wonderful to maybe try and keep somewhat of a log on their ongoing behavior if its not too much trouble. Maybe peek into the tank once and a while to see how they act in comparison to what I have mine in.

Thanks!
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Just added about 300lbs of rock and they are now coming out but sticking to the rocks like a juli would.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

what other fish are in the tank.i never had these guys in a tank that big.i'd get a group of 6-8,put them in a 20-30.2 would pair off,i'd move the others.i'd have a cave and a couple pvc elbows,2 small rocks.usually spawn in elbow.good parents.not real agressive.just another cool fish that doesnt have a following

Comment

They are definitely awesome to me.

I have them with a colony of Tropheus Brichardi and a colony of juvi Petrochromis Ikola. Nobody pays much attention to the Telmatochromis so they have pretty much all the area in the substrate and against the rocks to themselves.

I have now added a lot more rock with crevices for them to explore and a few shells if they decide to use them. They seem a bit more enthusiastic about the tank now with this change.

I really thought these guys were harem or colonial breeders. I did run across a small article about them pairing off but male would move on to the next female if needed so that works.

I would like to breed them in their own tanks but for now hopefully they will suffice with the 180g.

The last group you had which I got the singleton from did you have any luck breeding them?
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I think they've settled in quite well. Now all are active and swimming alongside the other fish and found a smaller one making a home in one of the holes in the rock and a larger on right outside it. Hopefully breeding will soon follow.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

That one fish was the last from my last pair.never had a problem once they pair up.if you want all the fry you need a cave that you can remove

Comment

Would that cave be removed to rear fry in another tank?
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yessir

Comment

I really dig on those Q, now to wait until you have some fry growouts!!!!
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

Working...
                  X