Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I'm new to the freshwater scene... Help me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I'm new to the freshwater scene... Help me...

Okay, I want to start-up a nice, large, planted tank. I'd also like to do a Fahaka (sp?) puffer in there. I'm not sure how large... I guess, at least a 75g, but I have room for much bigger if the puffer needs it.

Any way... what do I need? Is there something special I should worry about with the water quality, and what not? Does the lighting need to be extreme, like a reef tank? I'd like to get this going because I love puffers, but they always mac on my corals when I add them to my reefs.

I've owned freshwater tanks in the past, but nothing serious. Never kept plants and never really monitored water quality. If a fish died, it went down the toilet... I'd like to try to avoid that going forward.

What should I know?

Thanks everyone!
    Leo

I'm a plant guy but in no way a puffer pro. Hang tight this is about to blow up.

Comment

i am neither but i want to know the answer. i seen the puffers this guys have and i want one.
      75g Tank,
      2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
      2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
      10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
      10g Tank
      Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

if i am not mistaken about puffers, they love to eat plants. when i do see them around they are in large tanks with brackish water, i would guess that they might need pretty good water quality. do a search in the forums since i know that a couple members just set these interesting fish up recently
        75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
        28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
        12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
        29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
        45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
        33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

I can try to help out as best as I can, great seeing close neighbors on here.

Fahaka puffers are truly freshwater and seem to prefer water from 6.5-8.0 ph and are from African rivers and lakes. Our water here is ideal fro their husbandry. They do get quite sizable and they can be very finicky about any pollutants that many other fish seem to ignore. They really need 0.0 ammonia, 0.0 Nitrite (both these should be at that level with a cycled tank) and Nitrates below 20 ppm. The last is a challenge and why the more water you can have the better off they do. They can get up to 18" and grow very fast, so a 120-180 gallon tank is preferred for the life of the animal. 120 gallons are 24" deep as are 180's.

Substrate - Fahakas like to occasionally bury themselves so sand is preferred, but a base of some planted sustrate (flourite or eco-complete could be used in conjunction with Pool Filter sand or another type.

Lighting - A very complex issue, it depends on what you want to do really. Low tech is just lighting and ferts, we do this in a Fahaka tank. High tech is added CO2 and it will drop and fluctuate your Ph, I would recommend against that in a Fahaka tank. Most bulbs come in varying spectrums and plants prefer 5000 to 10,000 K spectrum. I'd suggest something along the lines of 1-2 watts per gallon, depending on the type of bulb and desired growth and penetration into the tank. I'd suggest isolating the plants in certain areas and leaving a swath of open are in the center for accumulation of waste, its so much easier to clean that way. We do a lot of water changes (50% twice a week) to keep the numbers right.

We are just up in Fox Run and we'll be having everyone over on Saturday the 24th for the tank tour and your welcome to come over and see our tanks and we can give you any advice we can. Great choice, you'll not be unhappy with a Fahaka....
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

I've kept a number of pea puffers without issue.

I think those are the only puffers normally kept in planted tanks.

The other ones get big and may up root plants.

It going to depend on what type of plants and how heavily planted the tank is going to be.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Fahakas are great fish, it makes for a really fun FW tank! They do need about 120g minimum at full size. Not too sure about the lights, but from my experience and what I've read, extreme lights might be too much, they seem to enjoy a little more of a natural or low-light set up in general. Which actually will probably match up with the plants pretty well- I keep trying to get my fahaka tank planted up as thick as I can to help with the nitrates, but she likes to munch and rearrange, so far I've had the best luck with the low-light/ easier plants like anubias, swords, floating plants and java ferns. She seems to leave those alone. Some people have said their fahaka won't tolerate plants at all, so I'm counting my blessings.

And yeah, water quality is key with all puffers...they crap big, and are messy, messy eaters. Super over-filtration and big water changes weekly or bi-weekly is a must. Keeping an eye on the water params is a good idea, they are sensitive since they have no scales. And because of that, they need a tank to be fully cycled and stable before going in.

There's lots of info over in the puffer section, if you comb over it a bit, feeding, vitamins, treating for IP's and all, but yeah- they are great fish and I'm so glad I took the leap and got one...it's a puppy in a tank! It'd also be great to have another fahaka owner in the area- I've got some extra IP meds I'd give you if you go that route.

Also look into dwarf puffers if you're wanting to stay with a smaller tank and have more plant options, they stay small and have just as much personality, can be kept in harems of 3-4, and can work with shrimp and other tankmates like otos, etc...I love the dwarf puffer tank I've got, it's planted thick and gorgeous, and they're a lot of fun too.

Good luck with your set-up, keep us updated!
              "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Will any puffer be able to share a tank with others?
                75g Tank,
                2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
                10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
                10g Tank
                Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Hahah, I was sooo not quick enough to beat Mnemenoi to this! Yes, definitely come over at the tour or anytime, check out our puffer tanks and see what you think, if that'd help. We'd love to have you.
                  "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

my girl wants a danm gold fish, so was thinking of getting her a puff instead of the gold trash. lol. after all both of them are round and move slow.
                    75g Tank,
                    10g Tank
                    Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Originally posted by R_sustaita View Post
                      Will any puffer be able to share a tank with others?
                      Some can be social (dwarf puffers, Red eye red tail, South American puffers) and others can tolerate others in the tank for small amounts of time when juveniles. There are quite a handful if different species and they span most of the continents so its a bit tricky and each one can baffle all the sources you have ever read. All I could really say is that sometimes they will work, but every one is entirely different...
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

my girl wants a danm gold fish, so was thinking of getting her a puff instead of the gold trash. lol. after all both of them are round and move slow.
                        Puffers are much more difficult then most fish, they require dedicated hubandry and routine water changes and daily attention to water parameters. I'd be wary of them for children's tanks as they are so quick to become ill and can go downhill very fast (1-2 days) if you don't notice very small issues quickly.
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

What's wrong with getting her what she likes? I've seen some beautiful goldfish setups.
                          All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

I agree with Aquabee! IMO, the best way to get your girl interested in the hobby is to let her get what she wants!!

Comment

yeah i didnt mean my girl as a daughter. we have no kids lol.

seriously, gold fish?
                              75g Tank,
                              10g Tank
                              Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Working...
                              X