Crawfish molting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawfish molting problem

One of my recently acquired CPO molted today and looks like it didn't go too well... is there anything I can do for him or will I have to hope she molts again soon and properly?

It was laying upside down, moving once and a while but not looking too good so I moved her to her own container for the time being.

Looks like her gills are on the outside.

I remember seeing this somewhere before but can't seem to find it and the hits are limited on this situation or just short with the answering "dead"
    700g Mini-Monster tank

I am at a complete loss, not sure what to do exactly. I can offer some Iodide, I have a huge bottle I'll never actually use, but that would only help on future molts possibly. Seems to be some conflicting ideologies about its use in FW systems with crustaceans. If it was recently acquired, I can suggest it was not your system that caused it. Most work on molts for months, so its likely an issue with a previous tank condition that is only apparent now. I'll try and do some research, but meanwhile all I can suggest is let it be and hope for the best.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Everything I am reading online suggests molting issues are indicitive of an Iodine defeciency, not certain I would completely agree as it appears to be a conveinant catch all answer. I can only hope it might survive and lose its external gills and molt again eventually. Hoping for the best and I have some Iodide that you welcome to if you need any.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

I've read low pH and low GH which is what RO/DI users run into due to poor re mineralizing
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

dunno if u saw this site...

http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php/6590-Mexican-Orange-Dwarf-Crayfish-(CPO)-can-t-finish-its-molting

they are saying iodine deficiency too....

Comment

iodine dude

RO is not as bad as RODI for removeing necessary minerals. as the name indicates de-ion-ization removes ions like Ca++, and Mg+

Are you running RO/Di on this tank?
            Last edited by cichlid1409; 02-29-2012, 10:36 PM.
            25g - Reef
            3.5g - Surge Tank
            10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Probably from the previous owner then... I have all my shrimps molting just fine and the food has a bit of iodine in it.

Don't plan on dosing iodine cause I think good diet should provide plenty. effing crap.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by madehtsobi View Post

I'm on there too, it molted fine and complete, just that when it hardened up the gills were on the outside.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

is this the new CPO you just got???

Comment

Yeah one of the two females... now I'm back to 2m1f if this one goes.

So far it's still alive.

I remember coming across an article about the gills being on the outside after a molt. Not a molting problem per-say
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Whenever there's a molting concern everyone jumps on either GH or iodine issues. I watched it molt and it didn't seem to have any problems doing so and was still active the whole time. Just the last few minutes of it the carapace hardened while the gills were external and that's when it started to get less active and lifeless
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

F man...that sucks...idk....just leave it alone and by itself for now....and just wait...

Comment

yeah that seems to be the consensus right now, I've separated her from the others and now just waiting.

Not too torn up by it since this is the ugly female but either way.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

ha ha..but still though...

now it kinda has me thinking bout the CRS that we are thinking about....shoot..

Comment

I've lost a lot of CRS to my stupidity.... it happens LoL
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X