Aquarium newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquarium newbie

I just bought my daughter a 3.5 gallon tank last week and unknowingly bought fish for it after 2 days. I believe we have cycled the water not but not quite sure. The water has gone from clear to murky back to clear and was told that was a sign the water has cycled. We lost 4 fish during the cycle and have 2 others that I believe are sick. We started with a zebra, two neon tetras, and a yellow tail guppy. After two hours we lost the tetras and the guppy made it almost a week. After the tetras died we waited a day and talk to a owner at a local fish store he recommended that we get some cheap goldfish to cycle the tank and wait for the water to go cloudy then back to clear and then it would be cycled. The water is now clear again but I lost one of the goldfish and two the two others have cloudy eyes and one seems to be molting. Any advice as to if I should remove these for the safety of the zebra or what should I do? I plan to get my water tested but have not yet. Secondly my wife and I would like to get us a tank and I have been looking at the 15 gallon column tank that petsmart has and would like some advice on whether or not that would be a good choice.
    29 Gallon SA Tank -- 5 Bleeding Heart Tetras, Mated Pair of Angels, 7 Green Corys, and a Rubberlip Pleco

30 Gallon Breeder -- 20+ neon tetras, 3 albino cories, 2 albino bristlenose plecos, female betta, 1 angel

5 Gallon Shrimp Nano - Sakura Red Shrimp, Boraras Brigittae, Oto Cats, Olive Nerites, and Pink Ramshorn

Welcome first off! Now to the gritty, I wouldn't use goldfish as cycle fish or even have them in your tank if they are the feeder goldfish, those things carry more bad than they could do good.

What water source are you using?
    What de-chlorinator are you using?
    Filtration is done by?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

We used normal tap water and API tap water conditioner. The filter is a mini might power filter that can with the tank. The link to the set up is http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls
      29 Gallon SA Tank -- 5 Bleeding Heart Tetras, Mated Pair of Angels, 7 Green Corys, and a Rubberlip Pleco

30 Gallon Breeder -- 20+ neon tetras, 3 albino cories, 2 albino bristlenose plecos, female betta, 1 angel

5 Gallon Shrimp Nano - Sakura Red Shrimp, Boraras Brigittae, Oto Cats, Olive Nerites, and Pink Ramshorn

Comment

Avoid using feeder fish to cycle the tank.

I would clean the tank and start fresh in case you introduced any bacteria via the goldfish, from the sound of it they are just really stressed right now which caused the slime coat to "peel". Switch to a better water conditioner like Amquel+plus or Seachem Prime, these two bind the bad stuff till it dilutes or gets processed.

If you plan to use fish to cycle then you should look into some more hardy fish, seems like the zebra fish is strong enough to make it so grab a few of those and pay attention to the water, to help keep the fish alive you can do daily partial water changes once it goes cloudy.

BTW, which LFS suggested the goldfish?
        Also if you could update your location in the profile it would help for any suggestions as far as LFS or places to go.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I will remove the goldfish in the morning as my daughter is asleep right now. I can not purchase a new conditioner until payday but will do a full water change then and should I clean the gravel as well? The LFS was Paradise fish and pets. Should I look at buying one the cycling agents and try to keep the zebra alive through it or go with just a few zebras? Also I was looking at adding a plant or two and a heater but unsure what would be good for this tank.

Comment

You can do a full water change and clean the gravel.
            If you can't get the de-chlorinator then just use what you have but don't add too many fish at one time and take it slowly. Just keep the one zebra or add another but keep it minimal for now.
            You can add plants but stick to low light requirement plants like anubias, ferns, moss, etc.

Do you have a thermometer in the tank? it could be your tank is getting too cold at night causing the deaths or drastic fluctuations in temp.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I do not have a thermometer but will be sure to get one. I will do the water change and gravel clean in the morning and remove the goldfish. I will have just the one zebra after the goldfish are released and will add 1-2 after a couple of days.

Comment

Hope you don't mean release into the wild, just flush it or kill it somehow and toss it in the trash.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I will flush. I the next few weeks my wife and I would like to get this set up http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11390248 do you know anything about the product or any recommendations for something similar?

Comment

Won't find anything similar for that price so I say if it's to your liking then go with it.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

In my opinion, beginners should start with the biggest tank that will fit their budget.

Comment

Originally posted by rmalford View Post
                        In my opinion, beginners should start with the biggest tank that will fit their budget.
                        +1. Larger tanks are more stable and are better at dealing with water quality fluctuations once they are up and running.
                        http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

I have his 3.5 with my shrimp. I hate that tank to my guts. The 15 g column i saw it yesterday. Its a fll kit but i wouldnt go for it. He can get a 20-29 starter kit for that same price. At pet o that is, they are on sale again.
                          75g Tank,
                          2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
                          2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
                          10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
                          10g Tank
                          Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

Column tanks are very pretty but will also limit the behavior of some of your fish. Goldfish and some taller fish are fine, but you won't get to see the lovely schooling action you get with tetras and rasboras and such, because those usually like horizontal space more.

I would strongly advise the use of a product by Seachem called Stability. I use it whenever I introduce new fish or start a new tank or replace a seeded filter with a brand new one. You basically add water to your tank, let it run for a couple hours, add your fish and then add Stability daily for one week as instructed. I've never lost a single fish (big tank or small) using Stability. No one is really sure on how it works, but some people suggest that it neutralizes things like ammonia and nitrite, while others say that it adds beneficial bacteria that feed on those harmful substances in the water. Who knows! But it works. :)

Best of luck! Keep us posted!
                            All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Welcome to the box! Your at the right place for advice. Some people at the lfs dont have a clue, Ive learned that the hard way. Ive learned alot just reading old posts and asking for advice here, stick with it. Good luck on your tank!

Comment

Working...
                              X