No announcement yet.

6 Gallon Planted Fluval Edge Shrimp Tank - Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds wonderful! I'd be happy to trade anything I have that you might want. I'm in the middle of major rescaping, but once that settles down and the plants get to growing, I'll have more plants than I know what to do with.
    Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
    • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
    • 29g Planted - Journal
    • 29g Planted
    • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

digitallinh - Thanks so much for the offer. I will take you up on it. I can paypal you for this cost of the shipping.
      Last edited by gotfrogs; 02-19-2012, 10:56 AM.
      300 Gallon Freshwater Turtle Tank
      120 Gallon Reef
      58 Gallon SPS Reef
      57 Gallon Mixed reef
      6 Gallon Fluval Edge Planted tank

Comment

I also did a major rescape 3 weeks or so ago, so I'm also adjusting. Anyways I'll chime in, in the near future.

Comment

My major scape is actually two major scapes because I'm converting my 90g from its former cichlid tank to a planted tank. So I'm splitting up my 75g to fill in the 90g. As I have been going along the process, I've decided that the 75g looks so old (in comparison) that I want to completely redo it now. I'm even going to strip it bare and start it over again. So now I've crowded all the plants in my 90g! I have just one filter running in my 90g, all my fish (without any plants) are still in my 75g, it's all a mess. But it's getting there, one step at a time.

Of course, you know what happens with new tank setups... I wonder how long it'll take before algae tries to invade my 90g!
          Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
          • 29g Planted
          • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

One of my shrimp

Full tank shot (looks better in person)
            120 Gallon Reef
            58 Gallon SPS Reef
            57 Gallon Mixed reef

Comment

I started dosing flourish excel (1ml per day) and am seeing a decrease in algae. I have not missed a weekly water change yet so I am not sure if the excel is the reason or if the tank is just getting more mature. Hopefully the tank will be algae free in a few weeks.
              120 Gallon Reef
              58 Gallon SPS Reef
              57 Gallon Mixed reef

Comment

I've been dealing with some nutrient imbalance in the tank I recently transplanted the staurogyne repens into. It's a new setup/major rescape so I've been tweaking a few things to get it in check again. Needless to say I still have the S. repens, but it has some issues if you guys would still want it.

Some of the leaves have yellowing spots on them (low phosphates, RAMS spit sand all over them daily! and minor GSA/BBA that is slowly going away). It could also be low light, but hopefully they get nursed back to full strength soon.

P.S. do you have a picture of your tank?

Comment

Originally posted by Complexity View Post
                  Of course, you know what happens with new tank setups... I wonder how long it'll take before algae tries to invade my 90g!
                  Well, gotfrogs, looks like my 90g has joined you with the battle of the algae. I'm not at all surprised, especially since I haven't been able to maintain it they way I would normally want to with a newly set up tank. So the algae has flourished.

I have green water, staghorn algae, green dust algae, diatoms, and hair algae. How's that for a combination!
                  Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                  • 29g Planted
                  • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

that sounds Algeastic!
                    75g Tank,
                    2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
                    2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
                    10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
                    10g Tank
                    Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by R_sustaita View Post
                      that sounds Algeastic!
                      Gesundheit
                      Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                      • 29g Planted
                      • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

i just got through staghorn and green hair blooms when my co2 went down, excel and amano shrimps cleaned it up in 5 days! i was dosing 1.5x excel and i think this helped alot. i didnt realize it was an algaecide that doesnt bother higher plants (other than some mosses and vascular plants)
                        75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                        28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                        12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                        29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                        45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                        33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Yup, Excel is a wonder drug for planted tanks! There's two steps to fixing algae problems. (1) Fix the underlying issue that's causing the algae and (2) kill the algae that's already in the tank. I think I've addressed the underlying issues which will just leave me with the existing algae. I'm going to kill out what I can with H2O2, but if any of the algae doesn't die out from that, then I'll hit it with Excel.

You should see my algae killing syringe. It's HUGE!
                          Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                          • 29g Planted
                          • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Tank update: The tank is almost algae free now (I have not been adding any suplements at all and have been doing 20% water changes every week). I lost all but one of my shrimp but the endlers have been producing a bunch of babies! Today I removed the stock light bar (LED spot lights and 10 W CFL) and replaced it with the LED light bar from my 12 gallon saltwater Edge. The 12 gallon did not have enough light to keep even soft corals happy so I ordered a 35 watt AI LED nano for that tank and removed the stock LEDs. Here it is on the 6 gallon Edge.
                            120 Gallon Reef
                            58 Gallon SPS Reef
                            57 Gallon Mixed reef

Comment

I broke this tank down and would like to sell it. $20 for the tank, stand, hood and LED light. The light is the stronger version that comes with the 12 gallon version of this tank.
                              120 Gallon Reef
                              58 Gallon SPS Reef
                              57 Gallon Mixed reef

Comment

Originally posted by gotfrogs View Post
                                I broke this tank down and would like to sell it. $20 for the tank, stand, hood and LED light. The light is the stronger version that comes with the 12 gallon version of this tank.
                                If you still have this when I move down there in July I will take this deal...

Comment

Working...
                                X