Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to prime pvc overflow without the use of hose nor mouth!!!(no check valve needed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to prime pvc overflow without the use of hose nor mouth!!!(no check valve needed)

you dont have to have any check valve or anything
    i found a way to prime or start a overflow by using a bottle (if have a running hose this works the same just start at step 2)... it has to be a 1 liter bottle and up...
    steps:
    1) fill the bottle with the fish tank water
    2) put the bottle over the overflow pipe that is in the tank
    3) force all the water that is in the bottle into the pipe with one complete squeeze
    (note: if you squeeze more than once there will be air in the overflow which causes no prime)
    YOUR DONE!!!
    let water overflow and it should start working..
    GOOD LUCK
    20L nano saltwater tank- (In Progress)

55G tropheus tank- 22 T. ikola,23 T. red chimba, 4 brevis, 3 b.pleco, 1 dwarf giraffe cat
    NO SUCH THING AS OVER FILTRATION... =DD

That only works for "southern engineered" overflows huh? )

I should be one to talk
    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

what ever DIY overflow that doesnt contain a overflow box... i guess... i really dont know i made a overflow and got tired of asking for help to start a siphon (for testing now it works 100% and it is beast!!) so i thought of this idea and had to share it to everyone...

55G tropheus tank- 22 T. ikola,23 T. red chimba, 4 brevis, 3 b.pleco, 1 dwarf giraffe cat

Comment

Southern engineered huh... is that proper terminology for redneck?
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Just home built, one step away from needing duck tape. I built one a few months ago to last me till I got a proper overflow box.

Kiko, I'm just busting your chops man. You can also use a check valve and lifter pump to create a siphon as well, a long as you can prime the overflow. But yours doesn't need that due to the pressure from the bottle. That's boss!

Comment

check valve just makes it look sloppy!!!...

Comment

True true.

Comment

Ok so this works by adding water to eliminate the air at the top of the siphon. Cool

One of the things I have been struggling with is the reports of somehow some way air gets back into the siphon breaking it and a problem ensues......

Many manufacturers suggest putting (CPR, eshops etc)a little pump to constantly suck air /a little water out of the top of the tube - constantly keeping the siphon filled. Have seen a couple of other reports of filling the tube with water rather than sucking the air out. However all of these add another pump to the system and suggest making sure you plug your return pump and the constant prime pump into the same power strip to avoid the case where the return pump comes on and the constant priming pump does not. However, some reports say that the constant priming pumps sometimes have a much shorter life span, get clogged and a myriad of other things. Murphy's law would state that of course the prime pump would fail at the same time as the siphon breaks creating an issue on restart.

Hmmmm just an odd thought .... why not put a T in the return line from the wet/dry or sump step it down and constantly water prime the overflow as long as the return pump is running.... Of course murphy would say the return line would break or clog at same time.... However, I think this is moving more into O'Brians law (Murphy was an optimist).

Haven't tried it but my question is has anyone tried? Any reason this wouldn't work or at least a good try?

Comment

Working...
                X