November Field Trip/Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November Field Trip/Meeting

Since the Holidays are a busy, busy time...we will have 1 meeting that splits the difference between Oct and Nov. This will be an outdoors meeting and we'll shoot for the middle of November, before Thanksgiving.

We are looking at a couple potential spots to collect locally. If anyone has a preference or a fresh site (that has water ) feel free to share.

-Dave
    Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
    Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Trip is scheduled!! November 19, we will close out the year (no December meeting) with a Field Trip/Collection Trip to Bear Creek and the Bear Creek Park on the west side of Houston. The park has a walking trail and the normal nice ammenities of Houston parks in case spouses and kids want to hang out at the park while you ditch-dive. We'll meet at the park at our normal meeting time (1:00 pm).

If you need more info, post here or PM Kevin (kwc1974). Also, don't forget the plant swap and all hobbyists are welcome!

Comment

just curious, what kind of plants can be found there?

Comment

I've not been there personally...hopefully someone who has will chime in. Given the area and what I've found in similar places, I'd say some Polygonums, Ludwigias, Hydrocotyls, Eleocharis, and some other genus are there. Callitriche heterophylla (excellent fine-textured midground plant when given plenty of light...similar to Didiplis diandra, but finer leaves.) is very common locally as well, but I see that more on farmlands. I've found 'baby tears' locally as well (don't remember if it's Micranthemum umbrosum or Hemianthus micranthemoides...whichever is not supposed to be extinct) and there are also fauna species that can be found (different fish and crays).

Comment

I'm a bit shy about going to things like this, but I have to admit, this sounds like a lot of fun! So I'm thinking I might try to come, but I have no idea what to expect or bring or whatever.

I'm assuming I'd need containers to bring back any goodies I found, but what kind of tools do you recommend? Do you guys just cut the plants off or dig them up? What about water for any creatures you find. Do you bring water with you or take water from there to not shock the fish with a sudden wild water change?

About how long will this last? What about food and drinks? Bring your own or pot luck to share?

Sorry for all the questions!
          Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
          • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
          • 29g Planted - Journal
          • 29g Planted
          • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Complexity

As far as what to bring, ziploc baggies and a bottle of water is usually all that I bring with me. That and an adventurous attitude. I will pack a pair of rubber boots but do not always use them.

If you are looking for fish, a dip net and bucket is a must.

as far as lunch, you can bring your own or we can hit up a local spot and eat afterwards. I would think that exploring the area should take about an hour or so depending on how distracted we get in one spot or another.

Kevin
            Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Comment

Originally posted by HiepSTA View Post
              just curious, what kind of plants can be found there?
              :) thats the question. I have done a cursory look have found bacopa and some ludwigias. One of the reasons that Dave and I collect is to find new or unused species of plants. We have found a few and have introduced the hobby to a native (Ludwigia Pelosie). There is suppose to be a ludwiga in that area that is unknown to the hobby but has been identified as native to Houston Texas so I will be on the hunt for that personally.

Comment

Kevin, this sounds great! I'm going to try to make it. Thanks for the added information!
                Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
                • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
                • 29g Planted - Journal
                • 29g Planted
                • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Hopefully this one will be there as well, but this is another that I have only recently started seeing and only on farmlands. (Ludwigia octovalvis - look for squared stems, very slight pubescence/hairs along stems and seed pods, seed pods about 1" long and narrow, decent size bloom, narrow leaves, upright and almost bushy growth emersed...submersed is...being learned. )
                  Last edited by davemonkey; 11-09-2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Beer Creek Park is a big place. I the nature trail near the Zoo, Soccer feilds, Golf or picnic area?
                    I am looking forward to collecting.

Comment

Isn't the park by the Zoo Herman Park? Bear Creek Park is on the far west side of Houston. http://www.co.harris.tx.us/Pct3/park...kpioneers.aspx

Comment

OOOOHHHHH. Now I get it...you're talking about the caged areas where they have the critters. Yeah, PM Kevin and ask him where he's planning on parking...and ask him to post that info here.

Comment

Yes, lets meet at the little league baseball parking in front of the aviary From there we can take a short drive to a few spots.

Comment

new here

Hi I am new here. I will be in Houston tomorrow was wondering if I could come out to the park and tag along? i have been doing planted aquariums for about 8 years now {I am addicted].I live in beaumont and there are great places here to hunt for plants also.

Comment

Plantman. Come on hope to see you there

Comment

Working...
                              X