Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Bio Media for Sand filter Conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Bio Media for Sand filter Conversion?

I'm reworking the backwash piping of an old Hayward sand filter I acquired last year, and I'm wondering if any of you have thoughts as to the best type of media to use.?
    I'll need about 2 cu.ft. for the filter.

pool filter sand. can be found at any pool supplies shop, a fav of boxers is leslies pool supply.

basically it would be like a large fluidized bed filter and those things are awesome biological filters.
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

http://www.w-m-t.com/Products/WaterTek_MB3_Moving_Bed_Media.php
      WaterTek_MB3_Moving_Bed_Media-white_sm.jpg

It's great stuff and cheap!

Best fishes
      David

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409 View Post
        basically it would be like a large fluidized bed filter and those things are awesome biological filters.
        Not really... a pool filter's sand media is designed to remain at rest and to be a mechanical filter. It must be backwashed daily to flush the debris from the sand. In a fluidized bed filter the individual grains are suspended in the water column and is strictly a biological filter.

Mark
        Last edited by wesleydnunder; 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM.
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by Tiki-Koi View Post
          I'm reworking the backwash piping of an old Hayward sand filter I acquired last year, and I'm wondering if any of you have thoughts as to the best type of media to use.?
          I'll need about 2 cu.ft. for the filter.
          It depends on the type of filtration you're after. PFS will work fine as a mechanical media, but must be backwashed daily to flush the debris out of the sand. If it doesn't get backwashed it quickly becomes clogged.

If you want a biological filter then the water tech media will work.

Mark
          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
          X