My ADA 60-F Iwagumi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ADA 60-F Iwagumi

I moved out for college, and the apartment I'm staying at could use a lil' more life.
    So, I decided to set up an aquarium to give myself something to do when I'm not studying other than play games.

Since my room's upstairs and it's not too big, I decided to stick with something small.
    The 60-F really caught my eye. It's less than 10 gallons, but its dimensions give it a much larger appearance.
    Whenever I share my pictures with a friend or family member, they think I have a 30 or 50 gallon tank.
    I must say, water changes on 8.6 gallons sure are a breeze!

Anyway, I started the whole project late August. However, I kept the updates to myself.
    I did this because I've seen threads where people post up their ambitious ideas, yet don't update regularly. It leaves me so anxious!
    I didn't want to be a hypocrite and do the same to you all, so I've waited 3 months to finally post this journal.
    Hurray! No waiting for updates!

My setup:
    Tank: ADA 60-F (approximately 8.6 gallons)
    Light: 150W Metal Halide
    CO2: Injected (5 lb.)
    Fertilizers: Rootmedic RootCaps, Macro, & Micro Liquid Solution
    Filter: Eheim 2215

Extras:
    - Coralife 9W UV Sterilizer, only on at night.
    - Hydor ETH

Flora:
    - Hemianthus callitrichoide (dwarf baby tears)
    - Taxiphyllum incendia-stipes (flame moss)

Fauna:
    - Paracheirodon simulans (green neon tetras)
    - Caridina multidentata (amano shrimps)
    - Otocinclus macrospilus (otos)

"WHAT?! NO DRY-START METHOD?! 150W METAL HALIDE OVER 8.5 GALLONS?! ALGAE FARM!!!"

Yes, I know I'm not following the norm when growing HC.
    But, before you get out your pitch-forks and torches, please remember that the "watts per gallon" rule is practically obsolete now-a-days.
    If anything, this journal will prove to you that the submersed growth can be just as effective as immersed growth, if not more effective.

In fact, I think I achieved faster results by jumping into submersed growth.
    With the dry-start method, plants could only absorb as much CO2 you let in whenever you open the saran wrap.
    Yes, that's enough for growth... but, with the submersed method I could really crank up the CO2 and dose fertilizers as needed.
    I planted the HC 09.24.2010, and as of 12.04.2010 (2 months & 10 days)... I think I've achieved a very thick, dense HC carpet that is to my liking.
    A similar carpet via dry-start method probably would've taken longer.

Now, onto the photos...

How it stood as of 08.31.2010.

Slowly collecting all the glassware and other necessities...

Picked up a used "FishNeedIt" 150W Metal Halide from Trung (Soymilk). Thanks!
    Got it hanging from a DIY bent conduit light stand. $2/10ft.

Seiryu Stones I picked up from a member on "ThePlantedTank" forum and Trung (Soymilk). Thanks!

AquaSoil Amazonia I, Power Sand Special S, Nile Sand, and a fresh 8000K 150W Metal Halide "Green" bulb by ADA.

I finally set up my hardscape as of 09.03.2010.

Going for a "valley" look.

Picked up some dimmable LED lights from Home Depot and bolted it to the back of my stand.

My intentions are to set it on a timer to mimic dawn and dusk.
    Hopefully this way the inhabitants aren't spooked too much when the lights are suddenly shut on/off.

This is how it looks when the lights in my room are on.

With my lights off, all you can see is the silhouette.

Well, I finally got it planted and filled! Photo taken 09.24.2010.
    I'm doing a fishless cycle, this way I can crank up the CO2 without gassing the inhabitants.
    I'm also dosing some of Seachem's "Stability" to get my beneficial bacteria going.
    To add to that, the ADA Power Sand Special also has Bacter 100 & Clear Super.
    I guess I went a lil' overboard, but it certainly sped up my cycling time... It wasn't instant like taking water and filter media from an establish tank, though.

Photo taken 10.13.2010.
    I'm battling the algae and cranking up the CO2. (Yellow dropchecker, lol)
    Still no fauna, so no risk of gassing the inhabitants.

10.15.2010. (2 days later) Slight improvement. Added some flame moss.

My mess behind/under the scenes to keep my lil' ecosystem thriving.

My $3 tool rack.

Eheim 2215. I know, I know. "That filter's overkill for ~8.5 gallons!"
    Yeah, well... I took it off an old 46 gallon from my parents' place. So it was free.
    As for overkill... it's keeping my water pretty darn clean.
    I'm also running a Coralife 9W Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer.
    The UV's on a timer with my lunar lights. So, it doesn't denature any of my fertilizers that I dose in the morning.
    Also running a Hydor ETH. Best heater I've ever used.

5 lb. CO2 tank with a "Nature Beast" CO2 Regulator along with my water conditioners & additives.
    Yes, when I took this picture, I needed to refill my CO2. Don't worry, it's full now.

Drilled holes through my stand for my dirty filter pipes.

Drilled another hole through the stand for my CO2 tubing.
    I better not have algae growth in my bubble counter... if I did, I'd quit the hobby.

How it stands as of 10.23.2010.
    The water has been completely cycled and I've added 5 Amanos & 2 Otos.

The HC seems to be growing well!

Just a warning ahead of time... I'm obsessed with pearling pictures.

The Amanos are a great clean-up crew!

My otos behave very strangely...

My Amanos love screwing up the substrate line between my Amazonia & Nile Sand. I have to use my tweezers to pick each grain back to its proper location.
    Once the HC completely covers the Amazonia, that won't be a problem.

Two Amanos crossing the horizon.

How it stands as of 10.30.2010. Still a bit of AquaSoil to cover in the front and the bottom left.

The Amanos are molting!

For about a week or less, my Amanos were displaying very peculiar behavior.
    They would climb on the CO2 tubing and just claw at the surface of the water... all day!
    After a few days, they just stopped. I wonder why they did that. Were they eating the biofilm?

After a long day of pearling.

Finally added some fish to the picture. 15x Green Neon Tetras.
    Fish were added 11.04.2010. Photos were taken 11.07.2010.

11.25.2010. Only 14x Green Neon Tetras. No corpse found. Probably in the bellies of the Amanos. RIP :(

Grooming the flame moss. Whoops! Looks like some of my HC trimmings got stuck in the moss.

How it stands as of 12.04.2010.

The HC carpet has grown in some more. The Amanos can't mess up my substrate, now.

I'm very satisfied with the HC carpet.

HC early in the morning. No pearling, yet.

"What's the temperature in here?"

Sunrise/sunset.

My lunar light setup.

Finally, what you probably clicked the thread for in the first place... my video!
    Unfortunately, HFB doesn't allow embedding of YouTube videos into posts so...
    Please click the following link:
    FlSHRFun's ADA 60-F Iwagumi HD Video

Remember, this video goes all the way up to 1080p!
    Hope you all enjoy!

P.S. I'd like to thank Trung (soymilk), Van (screename), and the staff at ADG for helping me put this all together!

Great job!

Makes me wanna get back into freshwater. But reefing makes me poor. I might try a saltwater planted tank for kicks.

Comment

This is an amazing thread. Thanks for this, very well done and great pictures!
      210G Malawi haps, peacocks, and clown loaches
      135G buccochromis rhoadesii & 135G Malawi haps & peacocks
      125G aristochromis christi & 125G Malawi hap & old clown loaches
      90G star sapphire
      75G buccochromis rhoadesii
      55G ?
      30G aulonacara Midnight & 30G eclectochromis fry

Comment

Now THAT is a sweet scape!!
        If it ain't wild caught
        You ain't doing it right

Comment

Originally posted by FrontosaurusRex View Post
          Now THAT is a sweet scape!!
          +1!

i saw a video of this on youtube. Didn't know OP was from Houston.

p.s. vanson and trung got skills too.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by soymilk View Post
            I might try a saltwater planted tank for kicks.
            Don't tempt me foo.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Beautiful journal! I might have to redo my tanks.

Comment

been.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Beautiful tank. I love the journal - and the dimensions of the the 60-F. The light behing the tank to simulate sunset is a great idea.

Excellent photography too!
                  Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                  Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                  Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                  Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Gorgeous layout. I've got a 60-F I just emptied out . It was a planted saltwater macro algae tank. It did well but I ran into some problems with my C. taxifolia. It melted down. Very jealous of your tank. I have huge problems growing HC. Keep us updated
                    Emerald Green Rainbowfish
                    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

i give it 6 months before you start reefing lol.... come to the dark side.

Comment

lol, in 6 months that FW tank will need to be replanted and made over. Might as well.
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I am amazed at how good this is. The sunrise pics are the best. They look like some horizon in africa.

Can I ask where you buy your plants? I'm new to planted tanks and the city of houston and I want to buy some UG and HC but I don't know where to start.

Where are you going to school? I'm at UT.

Comment

how did you get the tank cycled with plants only?

Comment

Thanks, tizzite!
                              I got my HC online from Drs. Foster & Smith Live Aquaria.
                              However, I only bought it because it was on "sale". I wouldn't advise this, but you can try your luck with it.
                              They probably market it as "on sale" because it's about to die and they're gonna' order a new batch.
                              When it shipped, the HC wasn't in the healthiest condition... plus there were a ton of small snails, even a spider. O_o
                              But, since HC grows best by individually planting each stem, I was able to avoid adding any hitch-hiking snails.
                              Luckily, I was able to nurse the HC back to health.

A few days later, Fish Gallery off 59 @ Kirby had JUST gotten a fresh shipment of HC.
                              I saw one pot that was really healthy and lush. I picked it up (Thanks to Van, a.k.a. "screename") and added it to my HC.

In the past, I've seen healthy pots of HC sold at City Pets on Beechnut off Beltway 8.
                              Although, it's kind of a hit or miss. Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't. When they do, it's pretty darn healthy!
                              However, the staff there is incredibly friendly and helpful. Especially Donnie and David.
                              Great employees and great prices keep me coming back.

I recently moved close to Reliant Stadium, and I've been looking to see what aquarium stores are nearest to my new location.
                              I discovered that ADG was opening up nearby.
                              Although they have yet to officially open up their storefront, if you e-mail them ahead of time, you can still come inside.
                              I haven't bought any plants from ADG yet, since their live plants section isn't up and running.
                              But, I've been keeping in touch with them and they will be keeping a very good selection of live aquatic plants along with some new ones I'm incredibly excited to get my hands on.

I'm currently a senior at the University of Houston.

Aquyenl:
                              I used some ADA Power Sand Special which contains a blend of "Bacter 100" and "Clear Super".
                              Bacter 100 contains dormant microorganisms which can be reactivated once a favorable environment is met.
                              Clear Super improves the water quality and helps the nitrifying bacteria proliferate.
                              In addition to the Power Sand Special, I dosed Seachem's "Stability".
                              I tested my water parameters regularly until it was safe to add livestock.
                              Of course, I had a huge flux in ammonia, followed by nitrites, and nitrates.
                              I gave it time, and kept dosing the Stability.
                              Eventually, the bio-filter take hold and the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates dropped to safer levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X