72 gallon tank - slow leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72 gallon tank - slow leak

All of the sudden, my tank has developed a slow leak. I have no idea why or where the leak has occurred. I don't see any signs that I am wicking the water out. I don't have another tank that can hold all of my fish.

What are my options? I have never run into this before.
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Once a leak starts, it seldom gets smaller. I'd get some totes and move the fish and filter(s)
    temporarily and re-seal the tank before the trickle turns into a flood.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

+2 on that one. Water leaking is your worst enemy

Comment

+3. I have several tanks in my garage that you are more than welcome to borrow if you don't have enough totes. Just bring them back when you are done.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

All my cichlids are in an igloo cooler with two cannister and a heater running.

I need specific help on how to fix the leak. Step by step. I have no idea what I am doing.

To add insult to injury, I am tied up until later tonight with family stuff. The fish are safe for now and the tank probably needs to dry before I reseal the tank.
          Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

1. completely empty the tank
            2. remove all silicone (I use a razor blade to do this). Take your time . . . this is a very important step.
            3. Grab a couple bottles of GE Silicone (without mold inhibitors)from your favorite hardware store. Bewtter to have too many than not enough. You can always return unopened bottles.
            4. Once completely dry, I use painter's tape to outline the seams. Not everyone dowes this, but I like the nice, crisp lines on my silicone.
            5. Reseal the tank with silicone. Try pressing the silicone into the corners as you go. After I place the silicone in the seams, I use the back of a plastice spoon to smooth it out. I actually use one plastic spoon per swipe. . . wasteful but cleaner. I go through 6 plastic spoons. People that caulk things on a regular basis have an actual tool for this, but I've never bothered to look for it. Remove all the tape within the first couple minutes (before the silicone dries).
            6. Let it cure for a couple days. I'd do the work in a garage since an ammonia smell will be emitted as the silicone cures.

Other people do different things, but this is what has worked for me in the past.
            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

The only thing I'd do differently than what Tim (armthehomeless) suggested is I like a different brand of silicone. I use Dow Corning 100% silicone for tanks in stead of GE Silicone I. The dow brand cures slower but is clearer, IMO, and easier for me to work.

Great idea about the painter's tape, Tim, I never tried that.

Mark
              What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Well I am done but I am feeling less than confident. I will wait two days and fill it up.

The tape works, but you have to take it off almost immediately after applying the silicone. I waited to long and made a huge mess.
                Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

My wife just accused me of "moping" and told me to buy a new (bigger) tank. This dark cloud might have a silver lining after all....
                  Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
                    My wife just accused me of "moping" and told me to buy a new (bigger) tank. This dark cloud might have a silver lining after all....

Go ahead and get a bigger tank while she is okay with it. Once you get the the other tank resealed, you can set that one back up as well . . .

Comment

Looks like your wife just solved that problem. go get the new tank. I just wanted to add. when your cleaning out the old silicone (if it's not too late now) it takes a good 2 hours. I just resealed my 72 bowfront and to do it right I went through 7 razor blades and about 2 hours of work.
                      Softie Reef

Comment

That is about how long I spent. I recommend the little plastic razor blade holder.
                        Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Silicone is dry. I plan to move the tank and stand to the garage to fill it. If it holds water for a few days without leaking, I plan to post for sale.
                          Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

so Im guessing you went ahead and got a new tank. If you dont mind me asking where was the leak in the old tank and what kind of tank was it.
                            46 gallon bow front
                            Grow Out Cichlid tank

240 gallon long
                            Community SA/CA/African Cichlid (we will see how it works out....)

Comment

Yes, I got a new one. The leaker was a 72 gallon bow front. I didn't really plan to buy a new (bigger) tank, but the wife offered and I wasn't going to pass that up. I don't have room for the 72 anymore. I am not going to sell it until I am positive that I fixed it.

I resealed the entire tank. I wasn't going to do a partial reseal. That said, I am pretty sure the leak was at the bottom, rear, center.
                              Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X