Help killifish eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help killifish eggs

I was able to collect some eggs off my MOP from my killis what should I do to hatch them?

Do you have a small quarantine tank set up with no fish in it? My advice would be to just throw the mop with the eggs, or the eggs you removed, into a tank where they can hatch and you can raise the fry.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

What type of Killi is it? Substrate spawners and annuals can be problematic, but I have read over plant spawners that were left in a heavily planted tank that had quite a bit of success. Most references I have suggest removing the eggs or parents, using water from the original tank and reducing the light cycle if not shutting them off entirely. I would suggest procuring a good source of live food shortly, Brine shrimp naupli, microworms, infusoria. Whatever it may be, all of mine were quite tiny and hard to feed. If nothing else start a wilted lettuce leaf or 2 in a jar of aquarium water in a window. After a few days you should have a good supply of infusoria for feedings.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Ok well what I did was I picked some of the eggs and well on some I cut a small piece of the yarn from the mop where the egg was at to not damage them. And I put the all in a small cup with a lid and I have it flowting in my Tank.
        Will they hatch there? Are they ok like that?
        I been reading and well everywhere it talks about drying out the eggs and bagging them and all that it all sounds real confusing and hard to hatch them. I have
        Fundulopanchax gardneri LAFIA GOLD.

Comment

Just did a quick google search and found this:

Apparently they're pretty easy to raise. So you shouldn't have many problems. But I would remove the cup from the tank, remove the lid, and do daily small water changes on the cup. Watch for eggs that start growing fungus and remove them.

If you have something a bit larger to put the eggs in, that might be good as well.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I always had great success with flat tupperware containers under a desk lamp (not too close to avoid cooking them). Something fairly shallow with a large surface area usually was perfect. I could watch the fry and see that they were getting properly fed. If you have any Java moss, it helped give them some security. Most of the local fish stores offer freshly hatched brine shrimp, but you usually have to ask. They can last a few days and are consumed with zeal.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

Ok well the reason I put them inthe cup and in Tha tank wasti try to keep the temperature warm. If I take them out won't the water get too cold?

Comment

I have found a small lamp can provide the needed heat, but it really depends upon the ambient room temperature (my house sits at 74 degrees) and most houses its fine to keep them near there. Another idea I use is placing them directly above the tank (not on a vent for a light). The ambient temp for the tank creates a warmer spot above it and this should also work. Most killies don't mind their tanks a bit chillier then other tropicals (74-78 degrees).
                Taken verbatim from Muzunga's link - "Hatching occurred at 14-16 days at 74 degrees."
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Ok I will try this and keep it at 74-75 if possible. I really do hope I can get them to Hatch.

Comment

I keep Nothobranchius and they have a drying period of 3-4 months. Once I add water, I can spot fry within less then a day. Hopefully they will hatch for you, usually killi's are fairly prolific it just depends upon the adults. If your first batch does not hatch it might be the male not producing or the need for a bit more practice for the pair. I'm sure they will hatch eventually. Let us know how it goes and what techniques worked and which did not.
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

Ok yea I'll let yall know what happens.

Comment

Working...
                      X